• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Total Hours on a 7.3 TD

alphadeltaromeo

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gents:

I'm in the market for a 7.3 shuttle bus for my ever growing family (http://www.ourfullhouse.com/home/14-babies/652-titus-jackson-redman-is-born.html) << baby number 11 is born on the 2nd of Feb.

Anyway, I've been looking at the Champion/International 3400 chassis with the 7.3 (open to other chassis as well). Many of the shuttles have lots of hours on the engines, so I'm naturally curious as to what is a really high amount of miles for a tired engine? Also if I need to get a rebuild/replacement, what should I be looking at for the cost, and if it's a rebuild, what recommendations in GA do you folk have for a reputable shop to purchase the rebuild from? I'm quite happy to install the engine if need be.

Your input is greatly appreciated,

Andy

I've seen some of those old 7.3s run some mighty long hours if well cared for. Up to 500k or 12k hrs or abouts.
Well cared for is the key phrase. I believe they cost alot for parts too.

Grats on the new young-un Andy! :thumbsup:

Hey thanks much on the congrats! Children are a blessing for sure.

OK, I've seen some of the shuttles with 12-13k hours on them. Should I stay away from something with that high of hours? Know of any reputable re-builders?

OK, I've seen some of the shuttles with 12-13k hours on them. Should I stay away from something with that high of hours?I think that's a case by case thing.
Know of any reputable re-builders?
I don't know of any rebuilders personally.
As to what kind of maint. it's had, if you know where it's from, maybe you could find somebody in the maint. garage that could fill you in.

I don't know of any rebuilders personally.
As to what kind of maint. it's had, if you know where it's from, maybe you could find somebody in the maint. garage that could fill you in.

OK much appreciated, Mike...I'll see what I can come up with.

Back