• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Torx T50 and seat removal

Pillow

Recruit
Reaction score
Am I the only person who has a real heck of a time removing the T50 head bolts that hold the rear seats in?

2 - Craftsman 3/8 drive bits broke
1 - Snap On 1/2 drive bit broke

Most came out okay, but 2 are being little devils.

I applied PB Blaster liberally days ahead of time and still failure.

Any tips are welcome!

Thanks!

They were really PITA when i was making my new interior.. (pics in own old topic)..
Just turn them open until it gets tight and then back tighter and repeat million times..

It's the thread sealer that makes them turn hard just like seat belt bolts. I ran a thread chaser on from underside. Then heat with propane torch or heat gun. I've broke 4 napa t50 bits on seatbelts.

Good tips guys! Let me get some more T50 bits and try again tomorrow. :)

Chase and heat before destruction this time. LOL

Good tips guys! Let me get some more T50 bits and try again tomorrow. :)

Chase and heat before destruction this time. LOL
There wasn't a real lot of thread sticking out undernieth to chase but anything helps. Wire wheel on a drill or wire brush. anything to clean the sealer and any rust off the threads. Heat will soften it up some. That impact bit would be a good thing for the tool box. The napa bit I keep breaking is just a 3/8 hex shank bit. I rip the teeth off the bit with just a breaker bar and no cheater. No reason they couldn't use hex head bolts:mad2::mad2::mad2: I replaced with hex head bolts smothered in anti-seize compound:thumbsup:

It's the thread sealer that makes them turn hard just like seat belt bolts. I ran a thread chaser on from underside.

I ran a thread die over all the seat bolts and seat belt bolts along with a bunch of PB blaster and I didn't break a single bit on my truck. The die made a big difference in how they came out.

all i did was get underneath and clean it up with a wire brush, squirt some PB on and came back later, and they spun right out. This was just on seatbelt bolts. I have not attempted seat bolts at all.

I did put anti-seize on when they went back in.
good luck!

heat it from the underside with a torch to break the rust free, just on the reinforcement plate, not the bolt, then let it soak again. should come out after that.

Heat, not very hot either. The thread lock they used needs to be warmed up. Its almost like tar.

A couple minutes with a propane torch is all that is needed. They spun right out with a 3/8 ratchet.

Back