• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Torsion issue

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
I had to replace my lower control arm bushings and ball joint. This is the 3rd time I've done it one 3 different 6.5's with no issues other than being a PITA. This time the bar fell out of the torsion adjustor whereas all other times it stayed in. Now it is out of alignment. I'm assuming all I need to do is disconnect the upper control arm and let everything

I had to replace my lower control arm bushings and ball joint. This is the 3rd time I've done it one 3 different 6.5's with no issues other than being a PITA. This time the bar fell out of the torsion adjustor whereas all other times it stayed in. Now it is out of alignment. I'm assuming all I need to do is disconnect the upper control arm and let everything

What do you mean out of alignment?

What do you mean out of alignment?
I fed the torsion bar through the control arm and then into the torsion key. I can't get it into the key. The key is out of alignment. The lip of the key that the torsion bolt is actually lower than the lock that the bolt screws into.

The key is always lower than threaded cross bar and bolt and even the x-member, you have to compress the torsion bar & key with the proper tool to above the slot for the threaded cross bar then insert the cross bar then the key adjusting bolt to the point it was before disassembly.
Another point, is that as the bar ages it takes a set, if you installed the torsion bar opposite end to how you took it out that could appear to be an issue when trying to line up the bar to the key.
There is an arrow on the bars end to showing which way the bar springs.

Got it figured out. Just had to install it with the lower control arm down. I just unbolted the 2 upper control arm bolts and unscrewed all the cables and lowered it then installed the torsion bar. Then I jacked the control arm back up and bolted her back up. I never had the key and bar fall out before.

Back