• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Torque wrenches

reddog

Reaction score
I'm about to assemble a new 6.5 engine and the torque wrench I have is the pointer type.

Are the type you set and they click more accurate?

I've used both and I would say yes.

If at all possible, beg borrow or steal a good quality clicker type of wrench for your project. Good luck and welcome to this awesome site!

From everything I've read the pointer (beam style) is just as accurate. With the added advantage that it doesn't need to be recalibrated. The only advantage the clicker style has is it eliminates human error and is easier to use. But needs to be recalibrated periodically. Last time I had mine recalibrated it was off about 5lbs at 100 ft pds. Not alot but it cost me almost as much as the original purchase. The cheapie import can be way off.

Beam styles actually are the most accurate. However they are hard to read and human error is very common.

Clickers are nice but decent ones are expensive. Usually 200-500 bucks.

theres also deflecting beams

and those ones where the handles bend in half when the torque is reached. Dont know the technical name of them.

Back