• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Torque wrench question??

WilliamBos

Serial Post Whore in the making...
Reaction score
Bought a new click type torque wrench, CDN Tire had them on sale, 1/2" drive. Is it ok to leave them set at a certain torque for a short period of time, couple of hours or so?? Be easier when I do my brake service, leave it at 140 for the wheels.

I leave mine at 100 ft/lbs. Been that way for a couple years now. Test it on the test equipment at work. No problems.

No doubt. But I have had it drilled in my head to turn them all the way off before you put them away. Cant teach a old dawg new tricks. I do think its more of a consideration on low range stuff. I have a in/oz screw driver that cost big $$$ and you bet I turn the tension way off between uses.

This would be a good one for mythbusters.

To 'un-load' the spring, or not.

Would take a long time to confirm or bust. ;)

I used a torque wrench when I installed large battery strings. Yes, remove the tension on the spring before you go home each day. Leaving it set on 140 while you're working is just fine.

In the military we always taught the troops to set them to zero or the minimum setting before putting them away (not all wrenches go to zero). During the course of a repair it’s okay if they are not zeroed out after every use. My rule was when it goes in the box or back on the shelf, set it to it’s lowest setting. If during the course of a repair you put the wrench down while you are engaged in another aspect of the repair, refer to my earlier rule. If it goes in the box or on the shelf, set it to it’s minimum. As with almost any rule a little common sense should apply about that. It doesn’t take that long to zero it so the time argument really doesn’t work. Store it properly and you should be fine.
Stay safe out there.
Ken

Back