• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

torque converter

You have to take the starter off and go in that way. Turn the engine with a ratchet at the alternator pulley.

The starter is 2 15mm bolts, one yoyu remove from above after you remove the wheel liner, and one you remove by putting a socket on an extension and get it from below. its much easier and less of a fight to do it that way,

also disconnect both negative cables and disconnect the wires from the starter.

ok guys i got the converter off but now im having trouble with getting the flywheel off i broke my 24" breaker bar so is there a trick to take off or what

if it's on a stand, brace the block with a 2x4 or larger and get a longer breaker bar with a nice strong 3-4' pipe to extend it with...the torque specs on the flywheel bolts are unreal...it's gonna take a lot to break them loose don't be afraid of breaking the bolt...be more afraid of breaking more tools :eek:

do you happen to know the speca on the bolts cuz i think i am going to have to get a bigger torque wrench...

you are gonna need a big torque wrench and a degree device...youl'll tighten it to xx pounds then so many degrees...I'll dig up those specs for you...BRB

Each flat on the allen bolt is 60 deg. So just mark the flex plate oposite one of the flats and tighten bolt till the next flat lines up with the mark. Do this on every bolt. Then go back and do it again. :hihi::rolleyes5:

ok thanks guys yall have been alot of help but i have a ? about where do yall get the torque specs for the motor at i seem to
not be able to find any and im doing a full out build up on my D max...

also you guys don't happen to have a walk-through on how to rebuild the allison 5 speed automatic do yall cuz i was wanting to try and rebuild mine on a budget and buy a converter

also you guys don't happen to have a walk-through on how to rebuild the allison 5 speed automatic do yall cuz i was wanting to try and rebuild mine on a budget and buy a converter
call Mike L and get the good stuff...and with that purchase comes great support in walking you through the build if necessary :)

call Mike L and get the good stuff...and with that purchase comes great support in walking you through the build if necessary :)

Yeah, I second that. He has been getting out of selling parts though and concentrating more on the build aspect for reasons that I wont bring up here. I would still call him and pick his brain on things and he will steer you in the right direction.

Back