• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Top post batteries in GMT400 design trucks?

Darkrider

Lobo Solitario
Reaction score
Ok I am seriously considering the idea of running optima red or yellow top batteries in my truck since i will be adding a winch as well as several off road lights on it soon. Now my question is can i safely run dual post batteries in my truck without making contact with the hood and shorting something out? Ideally i would like to run the top posts as the main battery connections and use the side posts for accessories.

They fit. Make sure the hold downs are snug and do not come loose.
You should also look at other AGM batteries, although at higher cost, to get the original performance and life that Optima no longer has due to going to Mexico and cost cutting.

They fit. Make sure the hold downs are snug and do not come loose.
You should also look at other AGM batteries, although at higher cost, to get the original performance and life that Optima no longer has due to going to Mexico and cost cutting.

Nice! thanks for the info on both fitment and suggesting other batteries. Yea i was kinda scratching my head for a bit to figure out how the heck to run accessories with the side post set up. Ideally i will prob put posts on the side posts and run marine adapters for adding my add on parts to the battery and use the top posts to run the truck.

I run Dual posts as well. I leave the cables OEM on the side terminals, leaving the top terminals available for jumping. clean, easy for jumper cables to attach, etc.

Awesome thanks for the responses guys! I def plan on combining running dual post batteries with the battery connector mod (replacing the oe bolts with 3/8 coarse thread bolts)!

I run dual posts on everything. I do not buy batteries from Napa anymore for 2 reasons - shortlife or bad when new & they are store specific. If you have a bad battery and you're away from home - you have no warranty. Now I buy from Walmart, Sears, Auto Zone or some other national chain

On dual posts I've had individual posts go bad and the battery still be good.

I run duals in my trucks for one reason or another.

My 95 has duals so I can jump with the tops (never jumped it always jumping friends), 94&93 have duals and I use the sides for acessories, Dmax might get a dual on the DS next time for easier jumping (again i jump friends and tractors all the time)

When you do the battery bolt mod make sure your bolt doesnt rub your intake elbow, dont ask how i know :mad2:

I run dual barreries in my GMT400. im running dual optimas one red top for cranking battery and a deep cycle yellow top for my winch and other accesories... never had a prob with them in the 5 years i've run them.

Bigj78 nice wheel gun, Is that a Colt Anaconda .44?

Got one myself, nice piece. I hunt whitetail with it..

colt.jpg

jrsavoie, were you able to get those screws in stainless?

Yes I was. I probably picked them up at Fastenal, MSC or Ebay

I have some extra thick washers/but not terribly thick stainless washers that definately came from Fastenal. They were left overs from a job. They are the perfect size to fit inside of the OEM rubber. If you stack 3 of these washers up you can easily access the nuts for adjustment without trimming the rubber.

Back