• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

tool box

packratt

Reaction score
Who has a tool box mounted in that wasted space between the deck and the hitch on their trailer?

I'd like to install one to store tie downs, binders, bars for the weight distribution hitch, etc. I'm tired of chasing down stuff that should be stored with the trailer. Everything I've seen would have issues with the trailer part of the weight distribution hitch.

My dad built one onto his (now mine) horse trailer. Made it out of sheet metal, bent and welded so the stinger, equalizer bars, etc fits on it.

only pic I've got of it when I was adding to my garage. Ignore the mess :D

1f.jpg

hehe, guess dad should have put a copyright on it back then. He just built it in the barn one day. Laid out the parts that would go in it for measurements and went from there.

I've got a triangle shaped DEEZEE on my utility trailer that I bought from Jegs. It's 1/2 full of chains, binders, web binders and towing stuff. I did a bit of modifying to mount the battery in it too. You can barely see it in this shot.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FordLoaded4-09.jpg
    FordLoaded4-09.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 53
You do nice fab work Ken. I would make a mess out of it. I could do a good job of designing one though...

mike, i didnt get close up pics for a reason, haha. i hate welding aluminum, mainly because i only have a mig, but no spooling gun=crap :sad:

packratt, i can see where that would be an issue. those ones from northern tool, are they just not as deep, so they can sit further back on the tongue, and not interfere with the W.D.H. cams? i have also seen chest tool box's, like the ones shortbed guys put in when the have 5vers or goosnecks. they look a little better that the regular over-the-rails tool box's i have seen used there

Back