• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tons of CUCV's for sale

Missy Good Wench

Wild Blonde from Cloud Mt
Reaction score
Cruising through Auto trader last night.

Found 35 CUCV Blazers with from 30K to 60 K miles on them listed for sale and many very cheap. Under $ 2000 in some cases.

Great deal for a tough little rig. No creature comforts but that could be added.

Missy

They are cool but I think alot of times,atleast locally, they sell for way more than they are worth. There is nothing special about an m1009 other than a TH400 instead of a TH700r4. It still has same whimpy 1/2 Diffs that the civillain models have and I'd personally rather have a civilian model for the same price if not less although I will concede that the Civiliian Models are harder to find. You can always find CUCVs on Gov't Liquidation although I understand it's a royal PIA to buy from through them. Can't say personally.
Another issue is the troublesome 24v system. Die hard Military truck buffs will swear by them but I am disliking mine more and more. I see a serp belt/12v conversion in it's future...

Ill have to check them out for the motors, part the rest out maybe?

They are cool but I think alot of times,atleast locally, they sell for way more than they are worth. There is nothing special about an m1009 other than a TH400 instead of a TH700r4. It still has same whimpy 1/2 Diffs that the civillain models have and I'd personally rather have a civilian model for the same price if not less although I will concede that the Civiliian Models are harder to find. You can always find CUCVs on Gov't Liquidation although I understand it's a royal PIA to buy from through them. Can't say personally.
Another issue is the troublesome 24v system. Die hard Military truck buffs will swear by them but I am disliking mine more and more. I see a serp belt/12v conversion in it's future...

Could you just re-wind the starter for a 12V system? If not i'd throw in a gear reduction starter. I swore by the old direct drive, until i saw how fast the GR spun the motor over and it didn't murder my batteries 1/2 as fast.

I've had both in the 6.2's. To be honest I don't remember a difference. The 91 Jimmy had the GR. The 83 GMC(brown truck) had DD. There is a difference with the 24v though. It cranks over like a SOB. I have considered keeping the 24v starter but eliminating the rest of the 24v and using a series parallel switch from an old Mack.

The only thing I like about the GR's is the fact that MISSY here can hold it with one hand while installing the bolts.

The DD's are bloody heavy.

The reason GM went to the GR was COST savings and thats it. Not because they were better.

Heavy copper wound starters cost BUCKS $$$$$$$$$.

You can wind on a DD till the batteries suck into a vacuum and not hurt them. Try that with the GR and you will melt it.

I have spun an old 6.2 that I ran out of fuel for a long time along side the road and it never seemed to mind much.

Just tossed in 5 gallons of fuel and wound it until it lit off. Opened the air bleed a little and made a mess.

Unless your pounding the hell out of a rig the little 10 bolt rears are fine with a 6.2.

I had a 75 Blazer that I stuffed 454 into and it ran a Buzzzzzilion miles under less than kind use and the 10 bolt never complained at all.

Missy

Yeah forgot about the weight difference as well. I'd say GR is probably easier on the starter bolts but I have seen plenty of those broken as well due to missing bracket or use of ether.

Just stumbled across this thread, and thought I'd bring up the listing of the M1009 as a 3/4 ton vehicle. Has anyone measured the thickness of the steel frame to see if these Blazers really used a heavier frame than the civilian versions?
The other potential advantage of the cucv's is that they are often very low mileage. Personally, I prefer an interior with my vehicles, and I've never been a fan of that funky grille guard. However, if anyone wants to offer me an M1008 for cheap... I could probably be convinced.

The only difference between an m1009 and a K5 or Jimmy is the TH400 vs the TH700r4 and of course the 24v and no accesories. The M1009 uses the same whimpy 1/2 ton junk station wagon brake diffs as the civ model and the frames are the same. I personally don't know where they get off calling it a 3/4. It's not. It's a 1/2 ton.

MGW is right about the weight difference is the starters. as fort melting you can cook a DD but it takes alot more work to do it. I like to melt the wire leads myself.:eek: the GR's I've amnages to melt the bushings right to the armature. ask me how I dare ya.:D

I had a guy offer me a running, no rust M1009 Blazer for 1k, in great (for a CUCV) shape.

They're just too plain for anything really.. I declined

Back