• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tired of dying radios

Dan Hunter

Truck Terrorist
Reaction score
The factory radio died about 4 years ago I guess. I replaced it with a "reconditioned" unit which is to say it was conditioned to croak as well.

Rather than buy another - new or otherwise - I purchased a 27 dollar Chinese four speaker 50 amp fm radio that has a usb port in the front. I spliced into the factory speaker harness and power it from the cigarette lighter. It's screwed to the dash below the factory tape player. I pulled the control head and put a 7 dollar storage cubby in its place. I'm hoping to do the same with the cassette player that I've used maybe once.

It looks as odd as my other mods and, in fact, has a charming 1970s style to it. Oh, and it works. Even has a remote control though it doesn't require it!

I too am looking to replace my factory radio but I plan on yanking it out and putting a new brand name radio in there like Alpine or Sony. Funny thing is I don't think I'm gonna get one with a cd player. Apparently if I get one with bluetooth, I can stream music from my cell phone right to the deck. With about 2,000 songs on my phone I don't think i need to be swapping cd's all the time. I already have an order in for speakers, gonna install them and then go from there. http://www.ikesound.com/

Thank you for your order at our website - Ikesound.

Here are the Order details:

Order #42
(01/01/2013)

Product Name Qty. Unit Price Total
Infinity Reference 6032si
1 $55 $55
Infinity Reference 6432cfp
1 $59 $59
Shipping: USPS - Free Shipping! $0
$114

Psssst... Hey boys, I can make you a deal on an 8-track. :hihi:

I had one of those in a '72 Mach1. It was punishing.

I'll post some pictures. I didn't use any duct tape but but it looks very hillbilly. The antenna is held in the horizontal groove in the lower dash with silicone.

Back