• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tire size on 2001 Dmax

5akman

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying an '01 Dmax, CC, 2wd, LB with a 6" lift and 315/75/16's. I'm concerned about the taller tires killing the towing potential, especially on the long grades here on the northern CA coast. My travel trailer is 5000lb dry plus gear and 5 bodies in the cab. For those of you that tow with similiar rigs, what is your opinion. I don't want to buy the truck and then have to spend 1500.00 on replacement rims/tires without factoring that in on the purchase price.

What are the load ranges on those 315's? I dont think 5000lbs is nearly enough weight to even break a sweat over that.

Last edited:
I have towed with 285-17's at 7000lbs stock tuning when I got my truck. It was easy to have a conversation in the truck and forget the trailer was back there. So I don't believe you would a problem with 315's, Though that would be to big a tire for a 16" wheel, for tire wear reasons.

I'll have to check again but I swore they said load range "E". I guess with the taller tire I'm more concerned about the height changing the gear ratio so that I loose towing power as opposed to the weight carrying capacity of the tires.

these truck easily can handle the difference in tire height power wise...as with any increase in tire height and additional rolling weight...mpg's will decrease some...IMO nothing that would be a deal breaker though...

As mentioned above, 5000 lbs isn't much of a load even if you figure an extra 1500 lbs for gear and passengers.

Those tires are 4.4" taller and while the Duramax can easily compensate for that height (torque wise) your shift points and your speedo will be off if this hasn't been addressed with a tuner of some kind.

Back