• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tire Ply Ratings

So I installed the new-used H2 wheels and 285-70s today. Cranked the T-bars 9 rounds. Thinking of dropping back a round our two but I will wait to see if it settles any first. I am going to have to replace a couple steering parts and tighten up the steering box next weekend. So, after that, I should have the final height set and I will get it aligned.
I have my bow tie centers, I just had not stuck them on when I took the pic.
View attachment 39674

Nine turns is a LOT. Typically, the average I've seen is 1/4" per turn. The more turns you have, the less downward travel you have. With nine turns, my guess is that you have very little downward travel left and that's not a good thing.

It has a really squatted look in this picture.

Yeah, I am going to back it down a bit and see what happens. But, it does ride more like a truck now and these tires are a lot better than those non-rated POS ones that the PO installed. It actually rolls freely now.
I trimmed the back of the plastic valence, on bottom of fender, just a bit to clear the tires but now it grabs the bottom edge of the fender liner sometimes? My liner is hard plastic and has a bulge right in front of the tire. Grabbed it backing out of driveway this morning. I guess I'm going to trim it back too.. I'm not a big fan of trimming parts. I read that this size would fit with just turning the bars up...:frown2:

Yeah, I am going to back it down a bit and see what happens. But, it does ride more like a truck now and these tires are a lot better than those non-rated POS ones that the PO installed. It actually rolls freely now.
I trimmed the back of the plastic valence, on bottom of fender, just a bit to clear the tires but now it grabs the bottom edge of the fender liner sometimes? My liner is hard plastic and has a bulge right in front of the tire. Grabbed it backing out of driveway this morning. I guess I'm going to trim it back too.. I'm not a big fan of trimming parts. I read that this size would fit with just turning the bars up...:frown2:

Mine rub worse on my 06 when the alignment is going bad.

I have trimmed the inner fender braces and zip tied the liners back on a couple friends. I think they call one of them the P Notch. Iirc

Source Unknown

Can you heat the plastic and form it to be out of the way, so you don't have to trim?

I'm going to try heating and forming the liner too. Had not thought about that. I have formed plastic before, hopefully it behaves similar.

could run smaller rubber and not trim anything. smaller tires are cheaper to buy and the truck gets better mpg with them too. :)

keep in mind this is coming from an un-cool dude, so take it for what its worth.

My last 6.0L got 9-10mpg normal 13 tops w/ 33" tires (it never changed much with mods), current farm 6.0L all stock get 8-9mpg on stock tire size, and wifes truck gets 9.5 on propane w/ 33" tires. Our duallies with 215/85's get better mpg now with 235/85's. When I went from 245's to 265's my trucks mpg went up.

Not sure why anyone would say smaller tires get better mpg when my math shows othersize if you stay in moderation. Small tires 16" vs 16" arent that much cheaper than 32-33" tires.

My 2c
About 9 turns up give or take a half 237, 000 miles ago and have replaced front and steering wear parts once at around 200K.
Trim a pie shaped piece out of the air dam carefully and do a neat job you'll never notice it.

Sent from my SCH-I535

My 2c
About 9 turns up give or take a half 237, 000 miles ago and have replaced front and steering wear parts once at around 200K.
Trim a pie shaped piece out of the air dam carefully and do a neat job you'll never notice it.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Same here, not a big issue on front end parts. Mine is fully cranked now, when I replace parts I upgrade. 223k on it and off road and loaded alot.

Source Unknown

I backed it down 3 rounds on one side and 4 on the other. The driver's side seems to want be lower, even after being cranked a couple more rounds than the passenger side. I used a heat gun and molded the 'bulge' in the driver's side liner so that it is closer to the washer bottle and rolled the bottom lip. I cut the pie shape on both sides of the air dam when I put them on. The passenger side has no clearance issues at all. Driver's is still close to the liner with wheel turned. Maybe an alignment will help?

I think I will stick with them. It looks and rides a lot better. I have only run one tank with the new tire size but the MPGs seem to be unchanged. Pulling the motorcycles a couple hundred miles tomorrow so I will see if the towing mileage is affected.

I am looking for a deal on a tuner and a better flowing muffler. I will adjust the speedo when I get a tuner.

BT,
What mud flaps and step rails do you have? I like the look.

Factory (or dealer I guess) hard molded mud guards and Westin chrome plated stainless oval step bars. And thanks for the compliment

Sent from my SCH-I535

Looks like 11mpg pulling my 6x12 utility with the dirt bikes. Spent a lot of time on hwy at 70+ mph. The big gate on it really drags it down. Even with the expanded metal it acts like a sail. I'm thinking of making a short gate for days like yesterday.

I have compared GPS and found speedo to be 8% off. So odo mileage was 10.19 mpg making corrected mileage 11 mpg. I'm hoping for more once I get better exhaust flow and a tune.

I bet mine is better than it shows then. Speedo is off about that much probably, I set the cruise at 62=65.5 or 66=70 but we typically set cruise at 60 to attempt better mpg. Wife like to hear the truck roar and I just showed her how not mashing the go pedal got me 12mpg on a 250 mile round trip ON PROPANE, she grumbled a bit after I showed her what her fillups came up to. My last trips numbers are based on the mechanical gauge on the tank, no proper fill yet.

Back