• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tire difference..

Stoney

Reaction score
Does anybody on here know how to calculate mileage and distance difference when you increase your tire size...I upgraded to 235/85/r16 tires.... I know my speedometer is off by a couple of miles per hour obviously... What I'm trying to figure out what it is if my odometer says I have traveled 100 miles how many miles have I actually traveled?? I can't accurately figure out my fuel mileage without knowing and it's driving me crazy.lol

I have found when calibrating the speedo you have to account for loaded diameter as opposed to using the manufacturers stated tire diameter.

In order to determine the loaded diameter you measure from a hard surface road to the center of your hub making sure the tires are inflated to whatever psi first then times (X) by two (2) & that's the loaded diameter your dealing with which is always less that advertised diameter. The general rule of thumb is that the tires diameter is at least 1" less than advertised diameter but the actually varies widely between tire manufacturers.

There will be a very slight variation in that loaded diameter at speed because of rotational expansion of the tires mass.

Presuming you decide to adjust the VSSB for the new diameter, there is one thing to note when following the adjustment procedures.

The procedures are missing a final step. Specifically, go through them to calculate the pin-out for the new jumper sequence. *BUT* the final and correct sequence is two digits away from the calculated figure. Do not remember whether it is +2 or -2 and am sure Unique Diesel will know which is the correct correction.

It's amazing how many people don't know what Mile markers are....when I first started driving tractor trailers it confused the wife when I'd tell another driver there was a full grown bear at the 226 over 2 mile marker...she'd be looking for an actual bear...

My kids go on a school trip and get asked where they are.. they know to tell me what (yardstick) mile marker they are at. Lol no more guessing for me.

You must be a trucker... BTW what part of Tennessee are you in??? I used to live in Carthage and highly considering moving back there

Beautiful area...!! I lived in Carthage till 2010..after the flood hit us we came back to n.y. where our family is to regroup and recover..planned to be back in Tennessee with in 6months..but then life happened.lol...i hauled flat bed at the time.. mostly steel...now I turned a hot shot truck...not really the same as being in the Pete but it will do for now

Ever run into "white Lightning" over crossville direction? Slow talking country boy? He is a steel hauler

Yeah I lived through it and swam in it trying to get my neighbors out...that's when they had open up the Percy priest dam and Wolf Creek dam so they wouldn't break.. May of 2010.. I never want have to live through that again...

Back