• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

tire clearence problem

jackh

Reaction score
ok i have trimmed and trimmed on my front left liner but i cant get it to stop rubbing lol. ill get a pic later but over time, the liner has gotten bent out towards the tire from rubbing when i turn left and now the rub is horrible. its like a garuntee that if i turn left im goin to rub.

i was thinkin of drilling a hole in it and attempting to tie it back with a zip tie maybe? idk anybody got a better idea?

thanks a ton

I trimmed mine just above the bottom of the windsheild washer tank and it has yet to rub.

But if your talking about the side of it thats by the cab, good luck. I just kept trimming and trimming and finally got it now.

Also notice that once you get that problem fixed you might start to catch some metal from the body panels.

dam son lol

idk if i wanna to any body work so maybe ill crank a little more. i still have a bit of rake anyways. theoretically, do you think raising my front a little more will help keep if from rubbing, or will it not make a diff?

dam son lol

idk if i wanna to any body work so maybe ill crank a little more. i still have a bit of rake anyways. theoretically, do you think raising my front a little more will help keep if from rubbing, or will it not make a diff?

It should help.

why does every crank the t-bars? don't they know the stress it puts on the ball joints and the drive lines? Not to mention the added stress on the t-bar itself....if you want bigger tires, lift the truck, or at least re-inforce the front end components and then level it, but at that point you are into it as much as a lift....is breaking stuff work the extra 1/4 of of ground clearance you get?

why does every crank the t-bars? don't they know the stress it puts on the ball joints and the drive lines? Not to mention the added stress on the t-bar itself....if you want bigger tires, lift the truck, or at least re-inforce the front end components and then level it, but at that point you are into it as much as a lift....is breaking stuff work the extra 1/4 of of ground clearance you get?

I am up about 9 turns on the stock T-Bars to get the right height for my 285s and since I have 68k+ miles on that setup you would assume that I've about worn everything out. Nope! The entire front end is about as tight as new... Yes, I'm fairly easy on it but then I use it hard sometimes too... just no heavy off road use. If I was an off roader other than around the farm, I'd definately see a need for some beefing up.
Oh...I grease every 12 to 15 k (every other oil change) when I rotate tires.

My biggest off roading is fields too.

My T-Bars are stock height. Cranking them helps a little. I dont like the ride though or the look.

read my sig.

my truck still has a bit of rake though so i could still crank a little bit more and not be over-doing it

Because some people don't have or want to spend the extra 2k for a lift at that point. I have my bars maxed and I love the way it looks and rides. Yeah, I hope to get a 6" lift someday but until then, balljoints are a lot cheaper. 83k on my truck and nothing on the front end has been replaced except a wheel bearing. My cv angles are not bad at all either.

jackh- yes cranking would help. I hardly had to trim anything at all.

why not just lift the beast? I can understand if you can't afford $2k but you can get a decent kit for around $1k give or take $100....your truck will ride like crap if you crank the factory t-bars....at least do new keys to keep the ride the same..... Thats why you buy a chevy so it rides like a car right?

why not just lift the beast? I can understand if you can't afford $2k but you can get a decent kit for around $1k give or take $100....your truck will ride like crap if you crank the factory t-bars....at least do new keys to keep the ride the same..... Thats why you buy a chevy so it rides like a car right?

when it was all said and done i spent roughly enough money on my leveling kit as i would have on a 4 in lift kit, but personally i like the look i have way better than the lifted look. lifted looks a little too jocky on some trucks and its kinda gay most of the time, depends on the truck imo. theres no way id ever get a 6in lift for my rig and your not supposed to fit any bigger tires with a 4in kit than i have on there now, stuffed wheel wells ftw. besides, the size of the truck makes my 33s look small from some angles now, so i can only imagine how small theyd look from those same angles if it was lifted lol.

anything smaller than a 37" tire is for on road only....LMAO.....you know after I read my post it sounded real ****y so sorry for coming across like that..... I just don't like the look when people cram all this tire into their wheel wells.....on the other hand I hate rubber bands with a lot of wheel well open....there is a happy medium and sometimes to get to that you need to get the truck up off the ground

anything smaller than a 37" tire is for on road only....LMAO.....you know after I read my post it sounded real ****y so sorry for coming across like that..... I just don't like the look when people cram all this tire into their wheel wells.....on the other hand I hate rubber bands with a lot of wheel well open....there is a happy medium and sometimes to get to that you need to get the truck up off the ground

werd

I love the look of my stuffed wheels when My bars are bottomed and 1600 is hanging out front. Theres barely a half inch of clearence around the whole tire. But 20 point turns get old.

those UCAs from cognito that jack has should fix the ball joint issue. now its just a ride quality thing for him. if its just rubbing the little bit i'd go for the zip tie thing. unless you want to get rid of the rake. I like some rake so that when i'm towing my truck doesnt look like its pimp slammed

I love the look of my stuffed wheels when My bars are bottomed and 1600 is hanging out front. Theres barely a half inch of clearence around the whole tire. But 20 point turns get old.

werd

those UCAs from cognito that jack has should fix the ball joint issue. now its just a ride quality thing for him. if its just rubbing the little bit i'd go for the zip tie thing. unless you want to get rid of the rake. I like some rake so that when i'm towing my truck doesnt look like its pimp slammed

i was told by the guy at nor cal truck my ride quality would not be affected by cranking bc of what all i bought. i have driven my friends lb7 which has some little ready lift spacer things and it rides like **** compared to mine. i like a little rake also, i think cali lean is gay. like i said earlier sometimes my tires look small from certain angles so i really dont wanna lift the front anymore cuz it will just make them look even smaller from those same angles. i went ahead and zip tied it, it works fine now. i only rub if im at full turn and hit a bump like a speed bump or goin up a driveway. no more rubbing while turning into a parking spot :beer:

now that I am looking at your sig, thats strange that a 295 is rubbing with a leveling kit... When I was working at the offroad shops we would do those all the time for the customers and never had an issue....

And I agree I HATE CALI LEAN.....i saw a truck in san diego....no bullshiit....had a 6" lift on the front and none in the rear....I couldn't believe it...I waited for the guy and when I told him his lift was incomplete he told me no it wasn't that he liked it that way.....I told him he was an idiot and walked away.....WTF is up with those guys? A little Cali lean is ok...say like an inch or maybe 2 is stretching it....but 6"? WTF!!!

Yeah when the front is higher than the rear, that looks gayer than two dudes ****ing. I also think it looks kinda stupid when you got too big of a tire in there without a lift. I have 265/75/16 tires and that's the biggest I would go without a lift. There are some tires I want that don't come that small, but would fit without a lift and I was considering lifting it (Which I don't want to do, this truck is for working too.) just so I could get the tires. I may get them anyway and see how it is, I can always lift it later.

Back