• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tips on removing turbo nuts? Need advice

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
Ok, this may sound like a silly question, but I have three of the 4 nuts off and am having trouble with the front-most nut on the engine side (left, front). It's tight and I don't want to round the nut off. I've soaked it with Fluid Film for the night and will get back on it tomorrow. Are there any tips from the 'veterans' on this? I'm using a Snap-On 6 pt. 3/8" drive impact socket and swivel on a breaker bar.

I have let the inner fender down and have decided that even though many have replaced injectors without removing the turbo, it's a good time to do so since I'll be able to never-sieze things. (Besides, with the inner fender down, I'll be able to get to the A/C line that just cracked when I bumped it).

I used a Snap on 1/4 drive breaker bar possibly with cheater and a SK 1/4 drive 6pt socket.
That took all the wasted force out from a swivel.

Soaked everything with PB blaster and started cussing.

not much else to do other than using a snipe on the breaker bar, it will either give or break.

if you got acces to a torch with brazing tip,you can try heating the nut, but dont burn the truck down in the process.

You will be glad it is out of the way when you go to do the injectors. Yes, many have done it with the turbo in place. I think all of them are distant relatives of Houdini....

I knew I got lucky when I did mine a few years back. Figured between the weather it's seen and all of the heat cycles I was doomed. They all came off fairly easily.

Just a reminder that short bursts (in both directions) can be more effective than just one steady hard pull in breaking anything loose.

Also, get a new gasket for the oil return pipe. I was going to reuse mine, got advice to not do that and was amazed my local chevy dealer had one in stock and it was something silly like 83 cents....

Heat the stud in the turbo up and place a candle on the end to melt the wax. The wax will "wick" into the threads and lube it up enough to remove the stud and nut easily. A quick Google on "candle wax rusted bolt" will give you several sources for this trick.

Got it off there tonight. A little fluid film, a little praying and off she came. I took the turbo down to the shop to clean it up.

WOW, talk about access! I can't believe anyone would fool with this without removing the turbo. Now I see why this is a recommended step. I'm just taking my time with this, and am in no hurry. I've got 4 hours in it getting the turbo off, but I wasn't rushing things at all.

Thanks for the tips guys. I did tighten the nut a bit and then backed it off. That seemed to work well. Thanks minisub! I also ordered a new gasket, too, for the oil return tube. I've had a new hose for it down by the pan for quite some time, but it looked to be a treat to replace, so I never messed with it. Now's a perfect time.

:thumbsup:

Now, you just need to find a socket that will work on the injector behind the pedestal. If you don't have one, I'll send you mine...

:thumbsup:

Now, you just need to find a socket that will work on the injector behind the pedestal. If you don't have one, I'll send you mine...

I used a 30mm Axle nut socket...it worked like a champ.

Congrats on your first turbo pull!

(random post to let the ol' foggies here know I still venture in here from time to time)

I miss my old 6.5. I pulled the turbo on my 6.0 a couple of weeks ago for the first time and it took me darn near a whole day in the driveway.

After reading this thread, I don't feel so bad now. When I took my turbo nuts loose for the first time, I swore they weren't going to come off.

It took me several nights to get the last one off, -each night hitting it with liquid wrench and a torch.

I swore I was eventually going to break the dang stud off, -but low and behold, it came loose!

Before reassembly, -all threads were wire-brushed till they were shiny in appearance, -then a liberal (man I hate that word!) coating of never-seize.

Glad it worked out for ya.

Well, is it done? How'd things go and how's it running?....inquiring minds want to know...

http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=4458

Yeah, it's done, except for getting my A/C recharged. I replaced a line and evacuated the system. Other than that, it's finished up. Check the link above.

It runs well. I really haven't driven it much yet, but hope to this week to try to test it out to see if it feels stronger. I will say it seems to sound a little more "crisp" at idle. I'm not sure, though, if that's my imagination or if it's really got a different tone to it.

Back