• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tips and Tricks

Trailmaster01

Marshall
Reaction score
This thread will be for tips and tricks of recovery. This could include improvisation techniques(safe), easily overlooked steps to reduce pulling drag,etc...

I will start with the simple method of cranking the wheel back and forth from lock to lock, this is called walking it out.

HAHA, Ive been on a farm dually recovery. Son took daddies 06 powerjoke out threw the swamp. Almost didnt tug it, ALMOST ;)

That day I officially nicknamed Duallies 'DEAD WEIGHT'

Dead weight

HAHA, Ive been on a farm dually recovery. Son took daddies 06 powerjoke out threw the swamp. Almost didnt tug it, ALMOST ;)

That day I officially nicknamed Duallies 'DEAD WEIGHT'

Ohh they're dead weight alright....I recovered one on the beach....after 9 people or so tried to push it out...ahhh not gonna happen...and it didn't:)

Hmmm...I have never been stuck in this rig...but I guess I am not trying hard enough...

Tugged out plenty of other vehicles...;)

Leave a little slack if your the recovery vehicle. Ive seen so many people pull the strap tight and then try to pull on it... Really doesnt work well.

If you don't have the traction your looking for, air down the tires. I've aired mine down all the way to 10 psi and drove around Silver Lake Sand Dunes all day without any issue. Airing down allows the tires to provide more flotation by spreading out the load over a larger surface area, effectively reducing the possibility of sinking. Also allows the tires to better conform to obstacles such as rocks, logs, etc...

If you are driving a 4x4 with an open differential, an intermittant light foot on the brake will help to balance the traction. Having just 1 tire spin can get you stuck pretty quick.

When in doubt, FLOOR IT!! If you go by yourself, tell someone where you are and when you plan on being back. Come-along's and shovels are your friends when you bury it. Winch even better. A good, thick strap is better than a thick chain anyday in my book.

never use ratchet straps for recovery. they become a 2lb bullet when (not if) they snap. plenty of dummies at the dunes don't understand that.

when tugging in reverse, pop the hood.

i usually carry a pair of carhart coveralls in the truck for work but they do a good job when thrown over a strap to help weight it.

i like to use chain whenever i can. you don't have to worry as much about it getting dirty and it doesn't snap when it breaks, unless you are tugging. i spent $140 on mine and i'm always nervous i'll get it dirty or scrape it on a rock the wrong way.

go to your local fire department and ask if they have some firehose they want to get rid of. makes an excellent sleeve to protect chain or strap!

Hmmm...I have never been stuck in this rig...but I guess I am not trying hard enough...

Tugged out plenty of other vehicles...;)

The one I referenced was two wheel drive(very big mistake)..kid with daddy's (street) tow rig....as far as not trying hard enough...times are tough these days to have broken parts...so there can be some slack on that one):h
Good tips everyone..

Last edited:
When in doubt, FLOOR IT!! If you go by yourself, tell someone where you are and when you plan on being back. Come-along's and shovels are your friends when you bury it. Winch even better. A good, thick strap is better than a thick chain anyday in my book.

When in doubt floor it....that's a good point to live by....floor it and hope for the best(use caution when exercising this strategy):biggrin5:

never use ratchet straps for recovery. they become a 2lb bullet when (not if) they snap. plenty of dummies at the dunes don't understand that.

when tugging in reverse, pop the hood.

i usually carry a pair of carhart coveralls in the truck for work but they do a good job when thrown over a strap to help weight it.

i like to use chain whenever i can. you don't have to worry as much about it getting dirty and it doesn't snap when it breaks, unless you are tugging. i spent $140 on mine and i'm always nervous i'll get it dirty or scrape it on a rock the wrong way.

go to your local fire department and ask if they have some firehose they want to get rid of. makes an excellent sleeve to protect chain or strap!

explain please. i've never heard that one before.

Back