• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Timing chain replacement

Michaeljp86

EVIL GENIUS
Reaction score
I need to change the water pump on my truck, Edzzed said I should change the timing chain too. Do I just need to replace the chain or should I buy the whole set of new chain and sprockets?

you don't have to change the timing chain, It is only a suggestion since you will be going into that part of the engine. I have heard that with 100,000 miles or more it's always a good idea to change both the timing chain and sprockets as sprockets do wear over time.

I dont want to have any trouble with it so if its something that could cause me greif Id rather fix it now.

I think Missy posted before that she has just replaced the chain.

I know with regular roller chain a sprocket will outlast several chains.

Also called a duplex chain. Use to be you could find a USA made set with sprockets & chain for not a lot more than just a chain. Can't say for sure, but have heard Cloyes are now made in China. Its really no problem just replacing the chain and keeping the factory sprockets. Finding a USA made chain might be a challenge. I actually had a conversation with Bill Heath about cam drives a while back. He says he runs a used chain & sprockets on all his engines, says there is absolutely no reason to change the chain. He has built a lot more 6.5s than I ever will, so I have no reason to doubt him. But when I built my engine, I found a new USA made Cloyes timing set, so that is what is in my 6.5.

i could of saved a few bucks if i had just replaced the chain. sprockets were good.

It's either stretched \ worn or not. Check it and see. I don't put new chains on worn sprockets personally, but that's just me.

Back