• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Timing -1.94?

-1.94 is the absolute max and will set the CEL if you have the factory tune. I would attempt for anything between -.70 and -1.80 it gets crazy trying to get the exact number you want with extremely fine half-hairs width movements. even crazier if you have the timing gears in the place of a chain!!

There is a trick I leaned to get you in the ball park and sometimes lands you right on the first try....

if using GMTDscan on the laptop, run the engine up to operating temp, then in the timing setting section you will have two buttons on the screen. one on the right shows time set the one on the left shows learn.

press the set button while idling, your TDCO will zero out and you will watch your actual timing. if that number is at 3 to 3.5 degrees your golden to proceed to the learn. if not, shut off the engine and tweak the IP, then go back and crank her up again checking the set button watching the actual timing. Once you are in the range of 3 - 3.5. run the learn. see where it lands. when finished, to save the new TDCO value just simply turn off the truck for at least 30 seconds and restart. you can re-check your work to verify.

I'm not doing the timing myself but am having a guy come over to do so. I was trying to remember what the ideal setting was. Mine was at -1.85 and I didn't have any complaints about it. If there is nothing detrimental to the engine then I'm fine with either I suppose.

I don't have a factory tune and I do have gears.

It was supposed to happen after work today and I didn't think I'd be able to get back in front of a computer before then. It turns out, we'll try again at a later time. Plans didn't work out today.

Back