• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Time for new Clutch? 1999 K3500 NV4500

ngb

Reaction score
Hi All!

I have a 1999 GMC K3500 that I've had for a little over a year. The truck has 205,000 miles on it but according to the previous owner, the engine should only have ~140,000. It has the 5-speed manual transmission and recently I've been having some trouble with it.

I'm not an expert when it comes to diesel engines or the NV4500, so hopefully you can share some of your knowledge with me. I am however, a avid car guy and spend a lot of time wrenching under the hoods of my other cars (Volvos).

Anyway, it's been a little tough to get the truck into gear in the morning but today it was impossible. If I started the truck in neutral, there was no way I could get the truck into 1st or any other gear and if I started it in gear, it would start moving as soon as I let off the brake, even if the clutch was all the way in.

About 3 months ago I had some trouble getting it into gear, but the trouble mysteriously disappeared until now.

So first off, this sounds like the clutch it going, right?

Second, could it be anything else?

Third, how much should I expect to pay to have the clutch replaced?

Any other info pertinent to this issue is thoroughly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a shot of the truck and one of my cars.

revolvfleet.jpg

sounds like a pilot bearing when it gets sticky or goes bad it will keep the input shaft turning. also a know common failure

Unfortunately I don't have the time or the space right now to pull the tranny myself, so what should I be expecting to pay to have it replaced?

I have no idea how many miles are on the clutch, so I might as well replace that while I'm at it, correct?

If your paying someone to do it I would then you'll know what kind of shape it's in. Also request a bushing for the input shaft instead of a bearing. It seems to last longer.

do you have to add fluid to the clutch master cylinder? If so, your clutch slave cylinder is probably going bad, as Dad's 98 felt like that as the clutch slave cyl. was going bad.

If you dont have to add fluid, I would go with AK d d's advice.

good luck, and nice truck! love to see another manual.

do you have to add fluid to the clutch master cylinder? If so, your clutch slave cylinder is probably going bad, as Dad's 98 felt like that as the clutch slave cyl. was going bad.

If you dont have to add fluid, I would go with AK d d's advice.

good luck, and nice truck! love to see another manual.

I've never had to add fluid but I will check that this afternoon.

You've probably busted the center section out of the clutch disc.

+1 on old style solid pilot bushing.

Your best bet on clutch assemblies are the Zoom High Performance or Southbend. Luc (OEM) just plain sucks, have a bad rep for the centers coming out.

You are looking at ~350 for the Zoom clutch IIRC plus around 6-7 hours labor.

I would also replace the clutch slave cylinder while you have the tranny out. It is internal to the bell housing and you must pull the trans to replace it. In my opinion better to only pay to pull the tranny once.

Ok, So I'm probably going to have the clutch, clutch slave cylinder, and pilot bearing replaced.

First off: Which clutch would you recommend for these trucks? The truck is almost entirely stock and I don't plan to do any performance mods. I do tow a car trailer with the truck and will be plowing as soon as it's running again.

Second: Where do you guys go for parts online? Is there any place that has a good selection and decent prices for the 6.5?

Like I said the Zoom and Southbend have the best rep for keeping the center section intact in stock trucks.

Got my clutch from Summit Racing. Think the slave cylinder was the Brute Force (same company as Zoom) from Rock Auto. There might be a vendor on the forum that stocks them as well.

Like I said the Zoom and Southbend have the best rep for keeping the center section intact in stock trucks.

Got my clutch from Summit Racing. Think the slave cylinder was the Brute Force (same company as Zoom) from Rock Auto. There might be a vendor on the forum that stocks them as well.

Which clutch from each respective manufacturer is what I was asking? Sorry for the confusion.

the nv4500...a simple yet arrogant machine! I love them and put them in everything that I have with a chevy V8, sounds like worn-out parts. Don't just do the clutch or the pilot, or clutch cylender....do them all!!! I know its more money however the NV4500 will run for miles and miles if you run the right fluid in in, however all the shit that bolts to it and around it will fall apart, if the tranny is not popping out of gear making exsessive noise in 3rd gear, (they are pretty noisy to begin with) then its not worn out, the other stuff is. Also AMSoil is the best lub to put in the things, its cheaper than GM part number 12349109 and it is more readly available. If the tranny wont shift when warm, its got the wrong fluid in it. I know lots about them except how to make my darn speedos work! Any more questions just throw out the word

Back