• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Timbren AEON Springs

trotorx2

Reaction score
Instead of bringing this thread back up http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?27403-Running-Spring-Clamps... I thought I would start a new one about these springs.

I had ordered these as a cheaper option to air bags for towing. I ordered them from Rock Auto.
I finally got around to installing them and as I expected they are too tall for my truck. I have a 2" drop and Sulastics on the rear and the rubber spring sits on the axle and it possibly raised the rear a little.
The kit is designed to have a 1" space between the rubber and the axle. I had tried to get Timbren to send me a shorter set of rubbers like Paul did but they insisted I install them first so I did.
My first impression when I drove my truck was it has a firmer feel in the back and the truck doesn't seem to roll as much thru turns. I'm sure when I haul my 5th wheel in a couple of weeks it will ride better. If these had a progressive firmness to them I think they would be perfect.

Paul how is the ride with the shorter rubbers?

About the same...I find them(new shorter/stiffer ones) a little too short for towing my work trailer...and when I hit a large bump on the road they come into contac with the firm rubber causing a little bit of a jolt...( maybe a little more tongue weight would be better for that setup

With the Travel trailer on the truck, they rest on the springs...I haven't towed it yet but on April 8th I will find out...I think it will ride great...

I'd like to experiment and cut the softer rated rubbers down so it is just where it is preloaded with the work trailer on...I really liked the loaded ride with those...

Update.

I've ran these for 2 weeks and they will be coming off. The ride is terrible. I'm taking a trip with the 5th wheel this weekend and when I get back their coming off. I had some friends riding in the back seat yesterday that ask what had happened to my truck they said it road like it had wagon wheels.

I guess I should have just bought the airbags from the start. Too bad I can't send them back :(

I just got back from camping yesterday evening...the shorter ones worked out perfectly for me...the trailer rode smooth and with a strong cross wing hardly swayed at all doing 75-80mph most of the time...have you tried the shorter rubbers Ed?

I think you'll be more pleased with them than the other...then you won't have to go buy air bags...

I have Sulastics and they did help the ride.

I have the rubbers for the oem ride height. With my 2" drop the rubbers set firmly on the axle. I tried to get Timbren to send me the shorter one but they didn't want to till I had tried them.

From reading your experience with the shorter rubbers Paul I think I'll just get the air bags. The roads over here are too bumpy. I had to brace up my truck tool box the other day because I saw cracks where it rests on the bed side. This happened after the AEON spring install.

Anyone know a good vendor for air bags?

Ok...I'm not even going to wait till after the trip. I brought the TT home to give it a bath and the truck squatted just as much as without the Timbrens. They compress so much they were almost touching the u-bolts for the leafs. The ride to and from the lot was rough as hell. Coming off in the morning.

Ordering bags when I get back.

Ed...I'm not trying to change your mind...only save you some money... the newer shorter ones are rated for a bunch more weight than the ones you have on now...

It cost nothing but 10 minutes of your time to put on the shorter more HD spring rubbers...They are a free replacement...give it a shot...it costs you nothing...:???:

Ok I'll call and talk to them. I was hoping that they would take the squat out but that didn't work. Truck squatted just as much as without them.

Paul thanks for your input.

My truck only dropped basically the inch and a half or so of space between the rubbers and the pad when the campers weight was put on it...these are definitely rated for more weight than the other set... I'm not loading mine near what you are so the ride is firm but not harsh...Truck rides normal unloaded ...well... normal with sulastics....which is better than normal :thumbsup:

I'd still like to cut down the longer lighter weight rubbers to get that perfect balance of transfer, as I don't have near the weight load you do...
Honestly, if I didn't have the Sulastics on the truck to start with, the first set of rubbers would have been perfect for me...

==============================================================
Note: If anyone has any ideas on how to go about cutting the rubbers down to exactly the same size without compromising the material, I'd like to give it a try...PM me if you feel it will take Ed's thread way off topic...

That is a great idea Ed. Timbren should know that. It would solve a lot of issues. They also need to add a question in their order form regarding the use of sulastic spring shackles.

The ride was so bad with the Timbrens I just took them off and they are setting in my garage. I'm still going to go with airbags just haven't got them yet...too many other things going on.

I sure thought these would work.

The Camper(10k) pulls flawlessly with the new rubbers...

the lighter work trailer(8k) is just a little harsher than before but very stable...

in a non towing situation the suspension performs as a stock truck with sulastics should...

No Paul I didn't. When I hooked up the 5th wheel the truck sagged just as much as without the Timbrens. The ride was stiffer too. Just didn't like them at all. Going with airbags when I get caught up with other things.

Back