• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tight/Taunt GP Wires

@drag sgt

To clarify my intentions, tomorrow I'm going to NAPA to buy a couple of 2.5' sections of bulk 2/0 cable, ends, and some solder pellets so I can assemble a couple new cables. I already purchased a new GP controller to do testing with, so it'll be a cost wash after it's all said and done.
Solder pellets. I've never seen them.before. I always just melted half a roll of solder into the terminals if going that route

Solder pellets. I've never seen them.before. I always just melted half a roll of solder into the terminals if going that route
Thats how I have done it.
I usually try to do some style of a crimp on the terminal to hold the cable(s) snugly then using the bernzomatic torcher begin to heat the terminal, add a little solder and when I see solder being sucked into the strands then really shove the solder into the terminal.
Oh yeah too, I like to use that silver solder like what the plumbers use. It is much more solid than lead/tin solder.

I've added OEM alternator wires from the alternator to the battery that doesn't have one going to it.
I think even the 2 wires are still undersized. But it's double what I started with

This may be what I end up trying, as well, just to be thorough. Did you get the OEM wires from a different year truck, or different vehicle altogether? If I can repurpose something

During the extended holiday I went ahead and upgraded all the battery connections, except the starter/alternator wires. I did make a new starter cable, but since the starter/alternator have a combined connector, and I didn't want to waste the entire vacation messing with my truck, I elected to save it for another weekend. Since the starter/battery cable with the only one left in the OEM side post, I used a 3/4" bolt in lieu of the OEM connector, paired with a washer on each side, a lock washer, and skinny nut to tighten everything down.

Even without an upgraded cable though, the starter is getting plenty of juice and didn't even need to crank on a 15 degree morning.

This may be what I end up trying, as well, just to be thorough. Did you get the OEM wires from a different year truck, or different vehicle altogether? If I can repurpose something

During the extended holiday I went ahead and upgraded all the battery connections, except the starter/alternator wires. I did make a new starter cable, but since the starter/alternator have a combined connector, and I didn't want to waste the entire vacation messing with my truck, I elected to save it for another weekend. Since the starter/battery cable with the only one left in the OEM side post, I used a 3/4" bolt in lieu of the OEM connector, paired with a washer on each side, a lock washer, and skinny nut to tighten everything down.

Even without an upgraded cable though, the starter is getting plenty of juice and didn't even need to crank on a 15 degree morning.
There used to be a pick and pull not terrible far away.

I'd just look at various GM vehicles and see what they had for alternator wires, and grab whatever I wanted. Gas, diesel, car, truck, it didn't matter.

Have you not done the battery bolt upgrade yet?

I use an 1-1/4" Allen screw with a flat end going into the side of the battery. Depends on the Allen screw, sometimes I cut the end of, if it's pointy at all

I have battery cable ends I use or some 10 mm washers with the proper OD. that fit well in the side post connector rubbers.

Sometimes I reuse copper washers from banjo bolts on brakes.

I just put a 3/8" eyelet on the end of the 2nd alternator cable and attach to t the other battery.

Last edited:
There used to be a pick and pull not terrible far away.

I'd just look at various GM vehicles and see what they had for alternator wires, and grab whatever I wanted. Gas, diesel, car, truck, it didn't matter.

Have you not done the battery bolt upgrade yet?

I use an 1-1/4" Allen screw with a flat end going into the side of the battery. Depends on the Allen screw, sometimes I cut the end of, if it's pointy at all

I have battery cable ends I use or some 10 mm washers with the proper OD. that fit well in the side post connector rubbers.

Sometimes I reuse copper washers from banjo bolts on brakes.

I just put a 3/8" eyelet on the end of the 2nd alternator cable and attach to t the other battery.

No, it just had all the OEM connector, previously. I changed everything except for the aforementioned over to a top post 3/8 connection paired with those military-style battery terminals.

Back