• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Throttle problems

Truckie117

Reaction score
1. Describe the problem you are having in detail:
What happens is as i accelerate truck goes through gears fine but once past 45 truck wants to go faster and i am hardly pressing pedal. I can get up to 65 and when i want to ease off the throttle I have no room to back off to go slower it just drops to idle causing bucking if i step back on pedal to keep up my speed. I never had this problem running on diesel or veg. I have a totally separate fuel system and filters for veg plus separate returns. Since this is my first fly by wire rig it's a mystery to me. New water temp sensors.
Thanks

2. Year of truck/engine. 1999 chevy suburban K2500
3. Odometer reading (indicate miles or kilometers).173,000
4. Indicate the model number on the Injection pump (starts DS4 or DB2.).Unknown was replaced under warranty 37253
5. Indicate if you know if it’s a 2500
6. Do you have an EGR on the engine? VIN F
7. Air Filter condition (visual check).CLean
8. Fuel filter condition (freshly changed, mileage since changed). Changed recently
9. Location of PMD/FSD? New model behind front bumper
9a. If remote mounted, describe wiring harness (homemade or purchased from which vendor). Kennedy harness
9b. Indicate the location and condition of the FSD/IP grounding wire. On pump
10. Outside Temperature (C or F). _45f____ °

11. Service Engine Light while running?- off
11a. Service Engine light does glow during start/cranking/bulb check: Yes
12.Have you scanned for engine codes? Yes no codes
12a. List exact results on engine codes.

13. Condition of Battery terminals (removed, cleaned and tightened). Yes clean and tight bolt and nut config.
14. Known condition and age of Batteries. Less than yr.
14a. Are batteries a matched set of same age? Yes
15. Condition of Major Grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened) Have to check

16. Does engine crank, or "turn over"? yes
16a. Does engine start and run? yes
17. If engine does not start- Crack injector line: do you have fuel? Yes/No
18. Does your Wait To Start light come on? yes
18a.Number of seconds WTS light is lit. 30 seconds but if cold will come on and off a few times
19. Engine Cranking speed (if you have an accurate tachometer).

20. Are you experiencing Stalling? No
20a. Describe the event (upon driving down the road
20b. Do you notice loss of dash or instruments? NO
21. Check turbo inlet and air filter for obstructions. Yes no objects
22. In a no-hot start, pour a bottle of room-temp water on the injection pump. Does it start now?
23. Lift pump test - Describe results. Pump is new and comes on and you have fuel at bleed off

24. Upon cold start, does the radiator hose get hard quickly? Have to check
25. Upon cold start, do you have excessive white smoke? No
26. Do you have excessive cranking time before the engine starts? NO
27. Have you used the block heater? Does it affect engine starting? (only try for starting problems).
28. Are all glow plugs in proper working order? New replaced last yr.

29. During hard acceleration, do you have excessive black smoke? Sometimes
30. Do you have any unusual exhaust smoke issues?
31. Turbo check out - Pass/Fail
32. Indicate fuel that you are using: #2 Diesel
32a. If running Veggie Oil fuel setup, indicate details of your conversion (homemade or packaged system). Packaged frybrid system installed by me.
33. Are you using any fuel additives? If so, please list. stanadyne
34. Upon unscrewing fuel cap, do you have a large vacuum formed in the tank? No
35. Do you have any service history available that might pertain to the problem you are having? NO
36. Please indicate any modifications to the vehicle that might help us diagnose better.
Just the remote pmd and Veggie system
:mad2:

No Codes runs fine around town starts right up only has the throttle problem above 45mph. Around town you can controll the speed with the throttle just like a gasser.

APP Voltage Test
Hi
I think I may have stated my problem wrong. What I thought was the OD dropping out is in fact a throttle problem. Tranny shifts fine but when I travel on side streets everything is fine.
When I go about 45 thats when the trouble starts truck accelerates but when I get to 60 I am hardly touching the pedal but when I try to back off the pedal truck bucks and its hard to keep steady without going faster. That is when the tranny drops out of OD like you are pressing the accelerator to pass. Going to check all the grounds and connections I have 2 new batteries and good battery connections.

Ok Today I checked the APP voltage here is what I got.

White with Black Stripe = 5volts
Tan = 5 volts
Yellow with Black Stripe = 5 volts
Dark Blue =.7 at idle
Light Blue = 4.4
Dark Green = 4.1 and goes down 3.7 when press APP
Purple = Good Ground ea checked with test light that will show ground
Brown = Good Ground
Gray = Good Ground
How do they look according to a post the light blue and dark green are out of wack anyone know if that is so?
Thanks
Mike

You got me stumped on your symptoms,got any codes?

i dont know offhand what the APP figures are supposed to be,maybe some one else will pipe in.

Thanks Louis
I think the APP is ok someone read my readings and said they are within parameters.
So I got to look to something else. Waiting for my manual to get here the electrical drawings will be a help.

Last edited:
IP shaft broke??

x2...

Don't know how do i check that?
Is it fixable?
Thanks

I was told the armature was reparable so I got a bad IP off e-bay and tried, It ran ok but I couldn't get the o rings to seat right IIRC. So I dont know if it would be worth your time or not to try. Its located on the back of the IP (towards firewall) In the center of the injector lines. You have to remove the intake to see/access it.

x2...

I was told the armature was reparable so I got a bad IP off e-bay and tried, It ran ok but I couldn't get the o rings to seat right IIRC. So I dont know if it would be worth your time or not to try. Its located on the back of the IP (towards firewall) In the center of the injector lines. You have to remove the intake to see/access it.
You are talking about the Fuel soleniod in that location,it cannot be serviced with the IP on the engine. The IP has to come apart for it.

The fuel solenoid armature right Bison? That is what caused my run a way throttle years ago, 05 I think, and why I signed up for the old site. It was a small rod about half the size or a the quarter of the size of a cigarette with a small flat peace of steal on the top of it. Behind the cover with the 2 wires.

The fuel solenoid armature right Bison? That is what caused my run a way throttle years ago, 05 I think, and why I signed up for the old site. It was a small rod about half the size or a the quarter of the size of a cigarette with a small flat peace of steal on the top of it. Behind the cover with the 2 wires.
Yes,that rod is the actuall fuel valve,but it has to be set to 5 thou clearance on the inside of the IP,and is done by turning the FS with a crush ring in between the FS and the pressure head.
I cant see how one can get that setting with the IP intact on the engine.
You must have hit the jackpot when you replaced the FS.

Give it the 2000 RPM test. With truck in park try to slowly increase engine RPM to 2000 and hold it there, then slowly bring back to idle. If this cannot be done fairly easy, your IP is on the way out.

Ok
I tried to do that and as soon as the Idle started to go up it just jumped up to 3K. so I guess the IP is on its way out. Just hooked up my carecode scanner and still no codes though. Now I gotta get a good price on a good IP any suggestions about rebuilders.
Thanks

I recently purchased mine from a vendor on e-bay(Pensacola). I can't vouch for the quality but so far no problems and the truck runs fine. The price was right.

Ok I Could not do that! It wants to rev right up to 3k
Yet there are no codes
I ran a carcode scan and I have the results in an excell work sheet how can I post this for someone smarter than me to look at? There is tons of data here I wouldn't be surprised if it could tell you if you farted while driving.
I dont want to spend 700 bucks for nothing.

Back