• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

throttle issues

Drive around with gearshift in 1st gear at 2,000 and see if it can maintain 2,000 rpm continuous. Even sitting in park try to hold it exactly at 2,000 rpm.

When you say "runs rough" do you mean it feels like there's dead cylinder(s) or that the rpm isn't holding steady? How many miles on your vehicle? Original IP or has it been replaced with a reman somewhere along the line?

I still think the root of your problem is your IP is wearing out. Keep running with it like that and it will eventually take out your transmission due to the RPM fluctuations causing the TCC to repeatedly lock/unlock in downhill coasting. How do I know this he asks . . .

I am sorry that I didn’t respond back earlier after you answered my question.

You need to run variations on the 2000 rpm test. Points towards bad ip if you can’t hold 2k.

Do clear lines on both ip input and return.
Sample the fuel and make sure it is clean, no contaminants, etc
Get fuel pressure gauge tapped in just before the ip and see what it is doing.
Need a scanner on there like mentioned above.

got the ip replaced at a local shop, runs good nothing wrong now but still early... but i am experincing longer than normal crank times?

Is the IP properly timed? Glow plugs and system operating fine? (Note: Even if it's warm outside, always use the glow plugs before starting)

Back