• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

thoughts on corporate rear diff

I just sold both of my 14FF for $400. If you look you can find for $150.
Any srw FF axle from 88-2000 should bolt right in.

I actually put 6 lug axle in mine was 8 lug and other than ujoint and ebrake cables are a direct bolt in FWIW.

How sure are u guys that the tubes are cast steel? I just read somewhere that the tubes are Dom steel. And I am going forward with my plans seeing as how I have more time than money at the moment. Also seems that using cast tubes would be cost inefficient for the factory. But I could very well be wrong. I have tried to find an axle to bolt in but everything is 87 and under for srw around here and the ones that will work cost way too much for me. I've got 250 in the 84 and under axle so I'm gonna give it a shot. I only paid 650 for the whole truck with no rust and 180k on the clock a few years ago so I don't wanna spend more on an axle than I spent on the truck.

The axle tubes have been made out of multiple metals, even in the same years. You have to the grind test to see the color and determine what metal it is. Then cut, fit and weld according to the metal type.

I am all about teaching people fabrication, but there are some things you don't learn on. If you don't know how to determine the metal properly I am concerned about the skills to do it safely. Obviously I can't make you do or not do something, only offer advise. If you don't have the skills/ knowledge for this you need to pay to have it done.

This ain't a friggin crankshaft that snaps and makes you walk a few miles. That axle housing snaps off at 60 mph from a big bump on the highway and locks up or looses an axle and you'll be barrel rolling that truck before you have time to hit the brake pedal.

Do some reading on how to narrow a rear end if nothing else. If you weld the tubes together you have to plug weld an inner sleeve (which means a shaved axle) then quarter splice or full sleeve the outside.

If it is one of the rare DOM tubes, you need to preheat and post heat or your going to crack out from the thermal expansion not allowing the seam flex. You still need to sleeve the outside. And if one is DOM and the other is cast...

If you can't tell what's special about this pic, you are in over your head
image.jpg

Texas tiggin! Ha, we came up with sticktiggin as the name here.

Yes, but its using nicklerod on onecast and one forged piece, this is required for the flex load under high heat in this application, but its the dissimilar metal here that the issue he will be facing. So for the load he is doing without an interior sleeve * he will have to feed a high tensil material as a filler while using the lower rod for the penetration and puddle control.

* Why do i say he will have to? If the money is not getting spent to do a quicke rand easier job that will produce better results for the axle swap, there is no way he gonna spend 40-50 hours in machine shop time to do the reduced axle diameter cutting and interior sleeve fitting. And if he workin a machine shop, or had access to free machine work it would be much easier to repair the bearing seats in the current pumpkin.

I learned how to do the job he is talking about restoring a 1920 Overland Whippet for a mega millionaire here in vegas named Jim Rogers when I was half owner of the truck equipment shop. $35,000 into that car, 3 or 4 of it into the rear axle alone. Nice car and helicopter collection, jerk of a guy- glad he finally died.

Is the name of the truck "Christine" by any chance?

I'd have never guessed cast tubes as a possibility in a million years. Just seems illogical. I believe it, but just wouldn't have guessed it.

OK well I've been driving the truck around for a week now a little harder than usual maxing out boost at 12 lbs and hitting big bumps and I think if it was going to fail it would have done so already

That show is responsible for more Mopar guys...

There's a guy in town that owns a small hot rod/ mechanic shop that used do work on that show and other TV rides like the fall guy truck and Hardcastle & McCormick car.

I wonder if that's why kids now aren't into rides like we used to be, because no shows now have cool rigs doing stunts just thrown into the show like its a normal part of life.

I hope the weld job keeps holding up for you. Good to hear.

That show is responsible for more Mopar guys...

There's a guy in town that owns a small hot rod/ mechanic shop that used do work on that show and other TV rides like the fall guy truck and Hardcastle & McCormick car.

I wonder if that's why kids now aren't into rides like we used to be, because no shows now have cool rigs doing stunts just thrown into the show like its a normal part of life.

I hope the weld job keeps holding up for you. Good to hear.

That show is responsible for using like over 1/2 the Charger production... They never show you what happens when the thing goes SPLAT!... err lands...

Mention the Flag getting removed/painted over from the General Lee would move this to politics...

I asked him about the jumped ones. He said they bent up a few. Lol. They had some with 6 cyl and beefed suspension. Something like a dozen cars around all the time. He also said " Notice the popo cars were Mopar Mopar also- parts yard!"

Just about any pick a part yard in SoCal will have a 14 bolt FF. On sale weekends, you're looking at $200. We intend to replace ours with the GMT 800 14 bolt FF equipped with disc brakes. Have one prepped and ready to install on my son's '94, but have other projects in front of that one.

Back