• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thoughts on a 6.2 conversion........

Yachtcare

Recruit
Reaction score
I have a good running 6.2 "J" code motor. Was installing into my '70 GMC project(already sitting on the frame with 700r4 attached). The recent continuing problems with the old 6.5 in the dually (at over 260K, estimated) has me thinking a swap might be a good idea.

The 4l80e seems to be holding it's own after replacing all the electronics in the pan.

If I get a pedal and throttle cable from a '93, and a Jake's controller for the 4l80e. Turn up the fuel on the J code pump, and limit the boost to 10 psi, am I good to go? I got a spare set of heads from a parts 6.5 to swap the injectors into, as I would want a new head set in there anyway.

May need a new set of injector lines?

TIA for your thoughts.

you will be shifting manually with Jakes. i do and love it. want a floor shifter for better control though. you updated the harness already? jakes uses the later style plug. not sure about lines because i have the mech 6.5 and not sure where the diff is. cruise might not work. i would go optishift from pmdcable eventually.

Why not just replace the 6.5 long block with the 6.2. There are a few parts to swap over I realize, ie front cover and reluctor/cam crank gear and IP and spacer to back the turbo manifold off the head, injector lines, but that's got to be a ton easier than doing what you outlined. I have not put a 6.5 cover and gear on a 6.2 but others here can quickly point out the issues if any. I would be interested in the issues also since I have a broke 6.5 and a low miles 6.2. :hihi:

All the parts he needs are on the tired 6.5 right?

Yes, I believe that is the case.

But in my situation, I'm trying to get rid of the electronics, in the easiest way possible (short of getting rid of the truck)

there have been a few that have changed to a mech pump. burningoil did and have heard of others. i think you would be better off with the optishift. what's your budget?

there have been a few that have changed to a mech pump. burningoil did and have heard of others. i think you would be better off with the optishift. what's your budget?

Budget's limited, and getting moreso. Trying to get use from the collection of spares I've gathered over the years.

I dont mind manual shifting, hence the thoughts on Jake's, much cheaper than an optishift.

The trouble with the mechanical conversion is the 4x4 factor with mine. The speed output mounted in the transfer case limits options as to what can be done. So thinking of eliminating all, or as much of the electronics as possible is the train of thought here.

The 6.2 was a great running motor that had 182K on the clock when I pulled it from a bus I had driven for about 20K miles. I've already put a new timing set, and pulled the pan and checked bearings, fresh rear main, etc. The 6.5 I've put approx 100K on in the four years I've had it. Still runs fairly well, but blowby getting worse, more numerous electronic anomalies popping up, and just leaking oil all over the place. This might be a quick, and inexpensive option to bridge the gap until I can build a fresh 6.5. Trying to freshen up a 6.5 with around 260K might not be a good use of cash.

Embrace the future :hihi: Besides that's the part that does not wear out.

:mad2: It may not wear out, but, electronics short out, burn out, fall out, and weird out! The mechanical resistors for the accelerator pedal, OPS switch, potentiometer for oil pressure, Baro and map sensors can in fact fail by wearing out. Add the mechanical anyway parts they are mounted too and the poor design and not so good.

Spaceballs: "Fck! Even in the future nothing works!"

I like some things the electronics do like longer glow plug times and tune changes on the fly. I hate the fact my burb had been in my garage sitting for a couple weeks for the fishbite and intermittent APP codes. New PMD and New APP is around a grand - the cost of a well built DB2. Go 4 plunger (nuts) and you may be able to match or beat a DS4 for fuel delivery.

Back