• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thinking of selling my truck

1999gmc

Reaction score
I have a friend of mine that has wanted my truck for a while now. And he has offered me $11,000 for my truck. So when I laughed thinking he was joking, he said no, I have cash money for it. He said he has always loved my truck since I bought it and the truck is still like brand new even though it has !%%K miles on it. No leaks or dents, just a few little scratches. Interior is perfect. So I'm thinking of taking him up on the offer and put another $10K or so with it and get a newer DMax. My wife is against it because I really like my truck and now with the ATT and reflash it pulls our toyhauler fine. We don't plan on getting a bigger trailer or anything, and like I said it pulls the 9000lb. toyhauler really well now.

So what do you guys think that have gone from an ATT and reflashed 6.5L truck to a DMAX? Is it really that much more power. I found an 05 I like and he wants $20K, but I did some poking around in the Dmax section and i guess some have overheating issues, they say to delete the egr and cat. I can't, I live in CA and have to smog them. I know about the possible injector issues of the 2002, but I was kind of leaning toward that year since they don't have egr or cat.

The 2005 does not have injector issues like the older design. You will have running hot issues out here unless you replace the turbo mouthpiece and get an aftermarket tune. The factory tune will turn the turbo into a 500 degree heater in front of the radiator. It is a design fault covering all 2005 LLY. The tow rating is higher but due to temp issues my 1993 will outrun it with the AC on in death valley towing.

The worst thing about this year is the jumpy throttle.

The dmax is about the same as your ATT as the factory tune is laggy. After a tune you get both a top end and bottom end.

He doesn't like the body style and won't find a Dmax as clean as my old body style anywhere near $11,000. He just wants it for his daily driver. He doesn't tow anything and really likes the body style of the 88-00 trucks.

Oh, and I meant 155K miles, not !%%.

Were you seriously planning on replacing your current truck right now or is it only because of the offer? Are you unsatisfied with your truck?

I would be of the mindset to keep what you have. The initial price of purchasing another rig is just the beginning. Plus you basically know what to expect out of your current rig as far as expenses. Any "new" used truck you really don't know.

Were you seriously planning on replacing your current truck right now or is it only because of the offer? Are you unsatisfied with your truck?

I would be of the mindset to keep what you have. The initial price of purchasing another rig is just the beginning. Plus you basically know what to expect out of your current rig as far as expenses. Any "new" used truck you really don't know.

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a DMax, but really don't want to sell my truck. Then when he came along and made me this offer it really got me thinking. But I have done a lot to my truck and I'm happy with it. But just wonder if I got a DMax would I be climbing the sierras towing our toy hauler up I80 60+ mph at half throttle instead of pinned to the floor doing 50 mph.

:iagree:
Having had to deal with the smog BS for 4 or so decades, I'd keep the '99.
I've been getting as many pre-smog ('75 and older) runners as I need. It's much better in the long run for money in maintenance and parts. Added to the fact that that I have a hard time NOT modifying my vehicles, it only makes sense.

Tell your buddy you'll help him find a good one, then he can benefit from your vast experience. The ability to run vegoil if necessary is an added plus.

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a DMax, but really don't want to sell my truck. Then when he came along and made me this offer it really got me thinking. But I have done a lot to my truck and I'm happy with it. But just wonder if I got a DMax would I be climbing the sierras towing our toy hauler up I80 60+ mph at half throttle instead of pinned to the floor doing 50 mph.

You would be doing 30 MPH (not 60), windows down, heater on high, engine/trans temp gauges in the red on the 2005. I would get a 2006 or forget it! Even then you have $2,000 you will need to spend on a used vehicle for repairs.

Is the offer over what you have in the truck? If so sell it and find another 6.5 or a 2006. Otherwise why bother? Book value is worthless esp with your mods, ATT - fuel tank.

Drive a Dmax, then tow with one. Difference is night and day. Pulling power, stopping power, handling, etc. The earlier LB7 motors are light years ahead for starters, even with their injector flaws. Coupled with the Allison trans it dosent get much better in my opinion.

However I do love the older gmt400 platform. Bit heavier duty build quality on the body I think. Interiors are nice and offer plenty of comfort and options. And one can't argue with the ease of working on an older truck. But the joy of owning my 06 is that I don't have to work on it at all. Just replaced the glow plugs for the first time since new. Biggest "repair" done yet.

I love my 6.5 and have no intentions of ever selling it, so I guess it boils down to what you want out of the truck. If what you have is working fine for you and you are happy with it, maybe you should just keep it. I regretted selling mine so much that I bought it back, so don't make that mistake! Just my .02

-Nick

Back