• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thinking about another diesel

jeffjbar

Recruit
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the following. What should I look out for when I go look at it? Thanks.

1985 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd, single cab, long bed, 4x4, 6.2 Litre Diesel, granny low 4 speed transmission, power windows and locks, grill guard, straight pipe exhaust, 20-25 mpg, $3000 obo

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 14
That is a very good price. window issues are extremely typical with this vintage. It's alomst not worth aving power windows cause they have so many issues. Start with testing the switches which always go bad. Forget the stealer. They can be found on a good HELP! rack at an auto parts store usually. If not the switchs , probably the motor. 3000$ is a steal for that truck if it's in good order and the body is reasonably clean. I was unaware that they came with 4spd behind the 6.2 which would make me question if it was converted from a dead TH700r4. Otherwise usual stuff. check the ball joints. Check the frame by where the steeringbox bolts up for cracks. They usually only cracked if large tires or plowed.

The TH400 was quite prevalent in the 2500 rigs but the 4 speed was certainly available then even behind the 6.2.

Granted that was a combination that was not seen often though.

I bought a 6.2 that came from a mid 80's 2500 and had the 4 speed behind it.

Looks like a clean little rig. Definately worth a snoop to check it out.

MGW

depending or your rear end ratio the 4 speed is limited to about 55-60mph without totally killing mileage. or atleast thats what mine is with the 4.10's

depending or your rear end ratio the 4 speed is limited to about 55-60mph without totally killing mileage. or atleast thats what mine is with the 4.10's

Not much different with 3.73's. The granny is nice when you want it but I never used it much, so basiclly I had a 3 speed.

Another option I've heard is available is a transfer case with a 2 speed in it.

Back