• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Think she'll make west coast to east coast? ;)

great white

Reaction score
Just and engine idle movie. Plus; high idle, blow-by examination and raptor lift pump pressure.

[video=youtube;fblSsc5cOtE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fblSsc5cOtE[/video]

Dipstick will "puff" with the oil cap on. "Water test" pushes the water down about 1/16-1/8 inch at idle, pulls it up about 4-5 inches at 2000 rpm (I'm thinking the CDR is toast). No pressure or bubbles in the coolant tank.

Oil pressure is usually between 34-40 psi.

Sound healthy enough to haul a 35 foot 8000lb trailer across the continent?

:)

No need to panic. You have an old worn out engine in a truck that has just as much wear.
These are tough trucks and with enough parts will make it. My high blowby "It's on fire!" engine made more miles towing than your trip has. And we were not easy on it. Can't be with 10% grades. Copper was showing in all the bearings...

However my low blowby engine was quickly ruined by a bad fan clutch.

So if your injectors are good and you have a good cooling system you only need to fear the end of life on your engine. Spun bearing or cracks...

Not like a new truck is a guarantee as a fellow towing for my broker blew the engine so bad the dealer bought the new truck back.

Go for it MAN! Plenty of brothers here to help you out along the way if need be.

I've gone years and about 20,000 miles before a repair on my best stretch. Its just the chain as strong as the weakest link. Do you best to prepare, have some cash on hand just in case, and go for it.

Was the oil up to temp when you shot this video? When I fire mine up cold, -there is literally no visible oil vapor out of the fill tube, -but once up to temp, -mine huffs every bit as much as the truck in the video.

I've never really worried about it, -it runs too good. I have also noticed different amounts of visible oil vapor trying different amounts of oil.

That engine sounds pretty good to me, -it's a ballsy move pulling a trailer across the country regardless of what truck you're driving. I know of a few who thought they had it made driving newer trucks, -but ended up with a big tow bill and arguing over what was covered under warranty.

On the flip side, I know many old-schoolers running 6.5's and 7.3's pulling heavy stuff regularly with little to no problems.

Go for it MAN! Plenty of brothers here to help you out along the way if need be.

:iagree:

With as much time, love, and money you have put into your truck you should be fine.

Just take it slow and easy and enjoy the trip.

Great White, you know the 6.5 well. August 2009 when I bought my year 2000 van, not knowing anything about 6.5's or this forum... a week later I towed 8500 lbs (car trailer w/truck on it) across the country with a bad fan clutch, original 150k mile injectors etc. Fuel filter plugged up 100 miles into the trip, no dealers(stealers) would take me for a week while I made phone calls from the side of the road and pleaded my case. I knew it was fuel starvation, figured it could be the filter, ended up changing the filter roadside myself and cured the problem.
She ran near the temp gauge red on every uphill, which is certain death. I do not know why the motor is still good after learning from this great forum all the details of the 6.5??

After I got back the PMD failed totally at 65 mph in the South Bronx... a whole other story in a previous post.

You know what to do, I learned the hard way after the fact... have important spares and enjoy your trip!

All the best from NYC.

I wouldn't worry about the blow by. I just had a 2001 7.3l powerstroke in with 119K miles on it, and it had 3 times that blow by.

Great White, pour in a can of Engine Restore & Lubricant (V8 size) every oil change... It started to help with the Beast's blowby and oil consumption after two oil changes. What route are you taking and timeframe for the trip? We'll look out for ya...

Don't worry about the blowby,if it bothers you ,then vent it to the road,it will help with the oil consumption.
8000 Lbs is peanuts,she'll pull it.

I have also noticed different amounts of visible oil vapor trying different amounts of oil.

Geez, I guess comin' up on age 42 is takin' it's toll on me, -it frustrates me to read what I write sometimes.....

I meant to say different BRANDS of oil, -not amounts...

Speaking of "amounts" -I heard a rumor that if you run 'em 6 quarts low, you don't see the blowby smoke for as long..........:hihi:

In all seriousness, that engine sounds dang good, -I'd probably give it a go.......

Ok, I'm tired and going to hit the hay..........my 6.5 will haul me to work again tomorrow so I can pay all these bills......

:)

Great White, you know the 6.5 well. August 2009 when I bought my year 2000 van, not knowing anything about 6.5's or this forum... a week later I towed 8500 lbs (car trailer w/truck on it) across the country with a bad fan clutch, original 150k mile injectors etc. Fuel filter plugged up 100 miles into the trip, no dealers(stealers) would take me for a week while I made phone calls from the side of the road and pleaded my case. I knew it was fuel starvation, figured it could be the filter, ended up changing the filter roadside myself and cured the problem.
She ran near the temp gauge red on every uphill, which is certain death. I do not know why the motor is still good after learning from this great forum all the details of the 6.5??

After I got back the PMD failed totally at 65 mph in the South Bronx... a whole other story in a previous post.

You know what to do, I learned the hard way after the fact... have important spares and enjoy your trip!

All the best from NYC.

Also brought up in a previous post....It's luck of the draw with these engines.

South Bronx, pretty bad place too be stuck especially if you don't know the neighborhood.

Which part of the east coast are you headed too?

My guess is Newfoundland or Nova Scotia :D I'd guess Labrador, but it seems only crazy people dare venture all the way out here LOL

Was the oil up to temp when you shot this video? When I fire mine up cold, -there is literally no visible oil vapor out of the fill tube, -but once up to temp, -mine huffs every bit as much as the truck in the video.

I've never really worried about it, -it runs too good. I have also noticed different amounts of visible oil vapor trying different amounts of oil.

That engine sounds pretty good to me, -it's a ballsy move pulling a trailer across the country regardless of what truck you're driving. I know of a few who thought they had it made driving newer trucks, -but ended up with a big tow bill and arguing over what was covered under warranty.

On the flip side, I know many old-schoolers running 6.5's and 7.3's pulling heavy stuff regularly with little to no problems.

Truck was up to temp. Blowby is very slight when cold, comes on as she warms up.

... have important spares and enjoy your trip!...

List so far:

Spare IP (complete except for PMD), spare PMD, spare vac pump, spare boost actuator, spare trans solenoid kit, spare belt. Planning on buying a Bill heath Max e torque and maybe a turbo master, haven't decided the last bit yet....

Great White, pour in a can of Engine Restore & Lubricant (V8 size) every oil change... It started to help with the Beast's blowby and oil consumption after two oil changes. What route are you taking and timeframe for the trip? We'll look out for ya...

Meh, I've never been a fan of that stuff. Tried it once in a ford 2.9 and the little bugger got so loud in the lifters I drained it the next day...

Which part of the east coast are you headed too?

My guess is Newfoundland or Nova Scotia :D I'd guess Labrador, but it seems only crazy people dare venture all the way out here LOL

Here's the route, that should answer several questions at once:

Untitled-1-4-1-1-1.jpg

Anyone notice the first stop just outside Ellensberg?

;)

My 93 has more blow by than that (it still has vapor coming out for 5 minutes after shut down) but pulls better than any truck I have ridden in. It burns a qt every ~1K miles new CDR, Rear main is leaking bad, and cooler lines arent leaking.

I say she'll make it!

So...GW..., why the ffff are you driving clean across the continent?

If I may be so nosey...

BTW, drop the route south to US2 next to lake Michigan in the U.P. It's a beauty.

Back