• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

think I got a head gasket leaking

6.5coalroller

Reaction score
Low coolant light came on after school yesterday. Didnt think anything about it jus topped it off, but yesterday night I was wiring up some chicken lights and noticed a big puddle of antifreeze at the back of the motor. Started looking around with the light and found that my lower radiator hose didnt have a clamp so we put one on it and I figured that would be the end of it. Today drove around and while I was dumping some wagons I noticed it was still leaking worse when it's running of course but doesn't stop after it's shut off. Leaks down on the oil filter and front drive shaft. Jacked it up and got the light and put the pressure tester on it pumped it up around 15 pounds. Then a couple streams came out looked all around cant seem to find a spot on the water pump leaking unless it's running to the back but i figured if it was the calprit it would leak down in the front. Thermostat housing and the ports on the back of the heads looked fine. Replaced the blocker heater a while back it started leaking but its dry too. Radiator hose looked good also. I finally could see some coming from the drivers side head so i'd think it's jus an external leak still runs and drives good only a lil smoke on start up jus lyk it always has. No water in the oil. I replaced the head gaskets about 2000 miles ago and had no probs til now put in arp head studs too. Drivers side was a lil more of a challenge tho tryin to hold everything in place while in the truck. Maybe I damaged the gasket but I figured it would have started leaking before now. Haven't had any leaks for a long while any others ways to make sure thats what it is?

I thought I had the same problem, it turned out to be freeze plugs were rusted through and made a pinhole leak behind the motor mount.

I had that symptom and it was the coolant crossover gasket leaking, running into the valley and down the back of the engine.

The back of the engine has some sort of coolant blockover plates that the bolts by the tranny disptick break a water jacket there too, worth taking an extra look see anyhow.

The back of the engine has some sort of coolant blockover plates that the bolts by the tranny disptick break a water jacket there too, worth taking an extra look see anyhow.

X2 IIRC there is a plate with a gasket to block off a coolant passage. Its just a flat plate with 2 bolts, kinda hard to see but its there. I just dont remember if it was on the LH head or on both.

Id check for a leak running down the valley too.

Well I'm pretty sure it's comin from the head gasket. Passenger side it's leaking out the exhaust ports can see it out the stacks. :mad2: not sure what i'm gonna do jus yet i'd rather jus yank the motor and rebuild it.

Back