• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thermal Dispersant on a heater core

So that should really put out some heat for us Northern folk :). Are you going to sell them already done or just have people send you their units? If selling ouright already done how much?

Well, I haven't given that any thought .. it brings up a question as to if their are different models for different year trucks?

If their were only one that fit most or all 88-98 trucks I would consider it, I may investigate that..

@Jaryd took advantage of my May sale and furnished this core, he will pick it up Monday and maybe give a report..

One thing we both found out is these cores have a seal under the pipes and allow the pipe to move, this was the first time I have coated this type of core, others I have done were brass units and were soldered.

These being unlike that required a "no bake cure" product designed for radiators & IC units with plastic sides that can't handle the high curing temps. The coating has the same thermal dispersant property as the bake type but has a mate finish rather than a high gloss the bake type has.

And for your question, anyone could drop ship any item to me and once finished I would ship wherever it needs to go.

Also, I am working with a radiator manufacturing company now and another member here is performing the independent testing with a all welded aluminum radiator with my thermal dispersant coating vs the same radiator uncoated.. If this works out I will offer coated aluminum radiators for our trucks..

The first heater core I sent to him he could spin the pipes pretty easily. He called me and told me about so we decided to hold off on coating it until we knew if they were supposed to move like that.

That same day I stopped by 2 advance auto stores and 2 Napa stores. All 4 stores had the cores and all 4 stores let me take them out of the box to try and move the pipes.
I found 1 at the last Napa store that didn’t move real easy compared to all the others. It still moved but not quite as easy so I bought it and sent it to him.

Couldn't the dimples be taken out and the pipes removed as well as the seals to use a heat treatment if it is better and/or cheaper?

Also if the pipes turn easily I would think the dimples could be reset.

The pipes could be welded, I haven't tried it but looking at it I have welded much thinner aluminum with success.

Maybe when Jaryd gets his old one out he can take it apart and see what kind of seal is under the tubes and locate where the leak occurred.

As for cheaper, the cost of the coating is the same, durability is also the same, effectiveness is the same, the only real difference is appearance and the application process..

The real improvement may be in where the leak is, if it's the seal then welding up a new core could make it a life time unit...

I’m going to take mine apart as soon as I get it out. I’ll post up pictures of what it looks like. I’m kind of curious to see if it moves like all the ones I looked at at the stores before I take the tubes off of mine.

I’ve been trying to find a copper heater core online since I got home and can’t find one on any site. I’m guessing that they only manufacture these aluminum ones now.

Back