• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The Squeaking is driving me crazy!

Shasta

KSOTI
Reaction score
First real complaint with the dealer I have been going to lately. I went in to have the windshield washer recall done, and the service writer asked if I had any squeaks or pops from around my doors. Of course I do - all the LMM Crew Cabs have them, but I have minimized them by cleaning the weatherstrips and applying liquid silicone periodically.

The service writer indicated GM has a fix - new strikers for the doors to keep them from moving as much when they're closed, and could he install them.

I picked up my truck and sure enough - it was silent for the first time ever. But starting the next day it has been getting worse and worse - far more so than before the "fix" and now that it's 5 degrees here tonight it is un - frickin - bearable!

I took a look at the weatherstrips and they look like they have been coated with vaseline. It's not the dielectric grease, but some other goo. I tried using the liquid silicone to remove it but all it does is smear the goo around more. It's all over the door frames as well. It looks like the dealer smeared on both surfaces - not just transfer from the seals.

What do you recommend to remove it, so that I can start over with what I was doing before? I don't want to use any kind of harsh solvents for fear of messing up the weatherstrip, and I don't really feel like taking it back to the dealer and going without the truck for however long it takes them to repeat their mistake.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Update: I used simple green on a cloth and removed all the goo. I also saw the weatherstrip has little holes underneath the front edge. I reapplied silicone to the outside surfaces, and then sprayed a little silicone inside the weatherstrip through these holes. This fixed 90% of the problem, and it was quieter than ever before.

I took it back to the dealer, and they replace the roof line weatherstrip with a new design they had just received. Problem solved! :smile5:

I no longer feel like I'm going insane!

I have had no problems with the rear doors of my crew cab squeaking or making any noise, but have had a God-aweful squeak from what I thought was under the dash but as I started to look around, seems to be the bracket that holds the OBD plug. If I push it up, the squeak goes away. Only get it when the truck is idleing, say at a stop light. But once I take off and push down on the throttle even the smallest ammount, it goes right away. I won't hear anything when I first start the truck up in the morning and more times then not, won't hear anything most of the way into work in the morning. But seems like once everything starts warming up, that is when it starts. I have been sitting in the truck a decent amount of the day lately so I am in there to hear it and I end up slouching down in my seat so my knee is just touching the dash under the steering wheel and just having that presure on there stops it as well. It's easy to doze off when sitting like that for a little while. The squeaking is really my only complaint I have about this truck so far after 2 1/2 months and 9300 miles.

Back