• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The "restification" of a 98 6.5 TD...

Is there any possibility my airbag install influenced this in some way :D

Yup. Just the final push though, been wanting a set for a while.

Did you get the "Whole shabang" setup.....With cab controls?......Or just bags and compressor........What did it set you back?

Just the bags and brackets for now.

That was 281 plus tax, cdn.

The tank, compressor, valves, etc would have been another 300 bucks I haven't got right now.

Besides, I've got a 12 compressor ( wimpy as all he'll though) and a small air tank I'm not using right now. Me thinks a few fittings and a little bit of creativity may set me up with on board air that may do more than just air up tires....

Don't you hate it when you have too long to think about a project?

Now I'm wondering about buying a new optimizer replacement.

7-9 grand.

Then there's the P400 to consider. But that's not a "drop in" solution like the Optimizer.

Then there's the LB7 swap.

Definitely not a drop in......

If I knew the optimizer would handle the 9000 lb trailer, the 7600 lb truck, the 600 odd pounds of cargo and climb a 6-7 percent grade all day without roasting the egt's over 1000F, I might go for it.

BUt the only way to find out is spend the cash and then I'm screwed if it doesn't cut the mustard...........

Sheesh, I hate having too much time on my hands......

Hmmm, apparently you can fix a windshield leak with silicone.

I put a nice blob in a syringe and squirted it into the windshield channel. It's been raining for a couple days now, no water in the cab.

I've got the carpet out, so water shows up right away as a drip.

Once the carpet goes back in, I'm back to looking for an exhaust.

I'll probably replace the glass at the end of the year.

Or maybe, I'll get it changed while I'm in the states. Much cheaper there....

Why not get the exhaust and windshield thrown on your ole tow rig while your in the states, would save you alot of money

Holy mackerel!

Just found out how much cash they're giving us for gas to drive the truck, car, TT and utility trailer to our destination;

$11,600

That's just for fuel!

We also get $2000 for food.

That's for a trip of just under 7000kms.

Gonna make a tidy sum on this trip!

The trailer is 25%of that amount. Don't tow it, don't get the money. As a donor whammy, if I ship it that comes out of the pot allowed for fuel. That's after they deduct the 25%.

Getting someone tow it is a decent idea, except I've got two ferries that I have to use.'they need to see a charge for a tow vehicle and a trailer or the jig is up.

Besides, we're also kind of looking forward to camping across. Well, they also give us 50'bucks a night. If we use hotels, we only get the actual cost reimbursed.

Came back after a week in the UK to find the truck leaking diesel.

:banghead:

Wife parked it the day before when she smelled diesel and saw it dripping off the crossover pipe. Nothing she did wrong, it just seems the truck doesn't like her that much (well, she doesn't like it much either!).

Everytime she has a machine for a while, something breaks. Just her karma I guess....

Well, the problem was the MR gasket fuel gauge under the hood. Apparently, the guage didn't like the diesel's rattling and broke at a solder joint on the bourdon tube inside the guage.

I spun on a 30 psi VDO guage I had gather dust on a shelf in the shop for now.

No biggie.

The truck is getting the auber digital gauge soon and that will fix the problem permanently!

Might as well order the trans temp gauge while I'm at it....

:)

Replaced the bed seal of the cap today. Finally got tired of water working it's way in.

I'll be looking at resealing the window frames next. I've already picked up the stainless hardware to replace the rusted steel bits.

Also started installing the DO water injection kit. The controller is in, now working on the pump, nozzles and tubing.

Tomorrow I'll finish up the wiring and start work on the fiberglass water tank.

Hopefully, I'll get a decent quote from leroy on Monday and order up the 4" diamond eye exhaust.

Then it's off to auberins.com to order up a trans temp and fuel press gauge.

Yup, you guessed it...my income tax refund came in Friday.

Full steam ahead!

;)

I think I might rapidly be approaching the point where I'ver more or less financially committed to staying with a 6.5....

Translation:

I'm getting to the point of having too much money into the truck to swap to something else in the engine room.

IE: I've already got a grand and countless hours into just the custom tuning software alone, nevermind all the other stuff I've bought along the way that is 6.5 specific. With another upcomming 500 into a HD PCM, it may be the last nail in the coffin for a swap to a D-Max.

I may be going with an optimizer or P400 after all......it's not all bad I guess, it'll just slot right in to the place where the 599 engine now sits. And all with factory parts....

But no real time tuning, no D-Max, no Allison, no tap shift......etc, etc........

ROFL @ BJ ... decisions, decisions.

You DO realize that if you knew nothing, your choices would be SO much easier?

You are a victim of your own competence, my friend. :D

ROFL @ BJ ... decisions, decisions.

You DO realize that if you knew nothing, your choices would be SO much easier?

You are a victim of your own competence, my friend. :D

yeah, I know.

Thing is, I'm at a fork in the road:

I need to spend a decent amount of cash on the rig for the trip, but I don't have the time or money to swap in a D-Max right now.

So, dump more money into the rig, and staying with an optimizer or P400 begins to make more sense from a money and work standpoint.

I'm thinking I've been backed into a corner by circumstances here and will be staying with a 6.5 of some sort.

Well, unless I just want to take a loss on all the 6.5 stuff so far and sell it off if I do a D-Max swap.

The wife would loose her ever lovin' mind on that one. She gets great "mileage" over the money I spent on the tuning software alone....

Not to mention, I've still got two complete TPI setups with custom electronics sitting on the shelves that were intended for my 89 350 truck we got rid of (couldn't pass 'em up for 500 bucks!). She loves to bring up what a great purchase that was when I start talking more car/truck stuff......:rolleyes5:

The wife would loose her ever lovin mind on that one.

I've still got two complete TPI setups with custom electronics sitting on the shelves that were intended for my 89 350 truck we got rid of. She loves to bring up what a great purchase that was when I start talking more car/truck stuff......:rolleyes5:

LOL ... yeah, some little mistakes hang around for years just to act as evidence that we have poor judgment, allright... notice how they aren't shy about using them on us?

Back