• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The "Official" Exhaust Thread

This thread doesn't have much usful info.

I am looking for an exhaust that is quiet in the cab, minimum back pressure to keep the EGT low boost maximized. Any recommendations??

The ones I mentioned have no drone at all. Some of the others do have some drone. Corsa, Silverline are just slightly louder than stock. The MBRP is a little louder than the other 2.

I dunno about that.

I'd say MBRP is gonna Drone, and there's no way at WOT that MBRP is Louder than Corsa.

If you want to eliminate cab noise and drone and be able to hold a conversation with the windows down you need a chambered muffler to eliminate as much resonance as possible. I think the Hushpower or something are straight through chambered.

Ive been real lazy about getting it on, but I have a 4" chambered straight through design from Car Chemistry called the Equalizer. If I get off my ass I'll try to put it on this weekend and let you know. They customized the I/O size and positioning for me for free as well. Can get it ceramic coated if you want, but diesel exhaust aint that hot

I think it depends on which way you mount the muffler, With the fins pointing forward or reversed.

Gotcha. There's just something about the MBRP that just Looking at it, I can tell it'll Drone.

But then again, Look through a Corsa Muffler, and you'll think there's no way in Hell that it'll be able to Quiet the Exhaust down, but damn, it sure does when Cruising.

Mine doesn't drone at all.

Barry, you have an LBZ and they're quiet from the factory. These things are really not loud to begin with.

I personally dont see how all these systems sound different. They're all a 4" tube with zero back pressure.

I would vote for MBRP.

The 5" MBRP I had on my '06 LLY had very little drone at normal driving and not much more when WOT. I was very pleased with it. Like Nick said, from the factory, they are fairly quiet engines and exhaust. Opening up the exhaust doesn't seem to make that much of a drastic difference when it comes to noise IMHO.

I have a 5" MBRP turbo back aluminum system on my Cummins. It's their basic system. Love the sound of it. Was pretty easy to put on as well except trying to get the v-band off where the downpipe meets the elbow coming from the turbo. I don't have any fancy tip on it either, like the plain Jane look I have. I have recently panited it flat black with 1200* high heat paint. Really like the look. Here are a couple videos, first one is of the stock system, the second is the MBRP system. Was a cold start, 36* outside.
stock
[video=youtube;0pTWK6_hKqM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pTWK6_hKqM[/video]
MBRP
[video=youtube;cWlS94AYL_w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWlS94AYL_w[/video]

blackexhaust2.jpg

blackexhaust3.jpg

So after i installed my EGR Blocker and Finger stick this last weekend and am working on my PCV reroute I am starting to look at exhaust and a tuner more seriously.

I have decided on a 4" exh TB but am wondering if the extra money for SS is worth it. It is almost double the cost of the aluminized steel. I live in the Atlanta area and don't have to be to concerned with salt but will be spending a few months up North this winter and maybe the next few.

Comments and Suggestions are solicited as usual.

If the majority of your time will be spent out of the salt belt I don't feel the SS would be worth the extra coin. If you get caught in weather where deicing is necessary I would think that a quick hose down would be all you need to keep the exhaust in great shape.

Running through a Super Wash with full undercarriage wash regularly (once a week) does wonders for keeping my truck from turning into a rustbucket thanks to all the road salt it sees in winter.

Yeah, that was just screwing around. If I turn the fuel all the way up, turn the torque management all the way down, turn the timing all the way down and floor mat it with no boost, it'll damn near spit raw fuel out the exhaust.

But, tuned how it normally is and should be, the smoke isn't bad......except the tire smoke.

:D

Back