• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The forced air induction\more fuel thread...

It was here in three days, no problems with him here.

I will leave good feedback next week if the turbo doesn't blow up.

I read that to and took a chance, sometimes you gotta go out on a limb when you see what you want and no one else is selling it.

I see you got one with the rare 10 blade turbine. Most are 12 blade like a HX 35,and would be more restricted on the exhaust side. What cm/ar is the exhaust housing ?

Here I found some specs for the HE351VE off the 2007.5 up Cummins.... I am not sure if they are right but they seem to agree no matter where I look. You can never have too many specs :)

HE351VE
Exhaust housing: varies, from supposedly 3-4 cm^2 to over 18cm, close to 20cm^2 (you guys can check this, I had a tough time finding numbers for this, so could be wrong for sure, apparently they "normally" run somewhere between 8-16cm^2)
wastegate is exhaust housing

Compressor wheel:
Inducer: 60mm
Exducer: 86mm
Blades: 14

Turbine wheel:
Inducer: 70mm
Exducer: 60mm
Blades: 12

Compressor inlet: 4inch
Outlet: slight less than 3inch, somewhere around 2.75 inch I would guess, I have a 3inch silicone coupler with a piece of coupler inside as a spacer.

Weird flange, between t3 and t4
4inch v-band exhaust outlet

Oh and yeah Rob, thats the one I was referring to on ebay :D

I was going to go with a he351 also, but came across the one I'm using now and chose it based on the ease of installation, although I really like the thought of the VGT and reducing lag.

Put it on and share the results, I'm curious how it will work on our motor.

How do you intend to work the wastegate? electronically or mechanically.

Well I have had it on since March. It works really well I think, but I have never had the fuel to really optimize it. It definitely seems strong in the low end, and I don't spend much time in the upper end right now as my IP is worn, but that will change soon.

Turbonator has been running on on their big pugg truck for a while, as well as a member over at the place with a suburban, Don. That is where I got the idea. Since installing mine, my buddy with a 6.2 put one on, and another fellow over at the place has recently bought one and is working on the install now.

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to get real good technical data, but there is one "test" I do. There is a hill near my home thats maybe 1/4 mile or so long. I start out at 55mph and when I reach a sign that is partway up the hill (so I am already on the slope) I lay into it. This is in fifth gear, about 2000 rpm, and I DO NOT downshift. Then I see what I am going at a sign right before the hill starts to level out. Surprisingly, the modified GM-3 I had held the same record at the VGT, 64 mph. The EGTs were about 950 for the GM-3 and 850-900 for the VGT.

Like I said, I don't think I have the fuel right yet, nor the VGT adjustment correct. For the last few weeks, I have been running too much boost, and the truck didn't run right, just didn't seem smooth, and choked out very quickly. Over the weekend I opened the VGT up and it seems to run better even with significantly less boost. It doesn't choke out. I think it had a lot to do with the drive pressures (which I do monitor).

For now I actuate the VGT with a spring TM style wastegate. It has dual springs, and I can adjst at what position the VGT is at idle. The tighter I close that idle position, the faster it builds boost, but at the expense of choking drive pressures. The more open, the better I think it flows. There are some standalone electronic controllers for the 5.9, and some people are working on one for the 6.5. This would be ideal, so as to optimize everything as well as take advantage of the exhaust brake.

Anyways I will hope to have much better results over the next couple weeks. The way I look at it, its just another way to skin the cat :thumbsup: no right or wrong answer.

You know looking at this Hmmmm.....When I do my turbo on my 6.2 I'm gonna use the GM4 with TM because I have it and can get an idea of how the truck will perform with a basic GM factory setup BUT...Looking at this...Down the road...If I ran the exhaust on the outside of the frame, I could run 3.5 inch right into 4 inch or even 5. Hmmm........There is no way in hell I'll get 3.5 inch between the frame and motor. I don't think I'll even get 3 inch in but outside the frame....It can be done. I have some awesome pics of an OBS truck with a Cummins/10spd RR swap that he did just that and it cleared the tires. I'll have to take some measurements cause I may do that with the GM4 so a future upgrade will be that much easier.

Thats a good idea. Kory has a 3 inch downpipe on his 82 6.2, but it had to be massaged a bit to fit. I have a four inch, which neeeded massaged a good bit with a torch, so its probably 3.5 inch at its smallest point. If I had to do it all over again, I would just use 3.5 inch for the whole downpipe, the back of the VGT takes a 3.5 pipe just right.

Found a turbo for the guys that want down low and boost almost all the way up the range to 3500: Been working on this for a little but need testing, will be testing the turbo after I determine the mods needed to make it fit. Since everyone is wanting an off the line turbo. Should be a good fit. I should be able cover what either the towing or daily driver wants. Will be starting a thread in the ATT forum, to discuss the needs and wants. ONE turbo (where have I heard that) is not the end all be all of turbos, there are more ways to run things than just what someone thinks is best, time and people will tell the true story. Will be a bolt on kit if it is possible. If it is real close I may just offer the turbo ,and people can fab their own or buy a kit to install it.

We will see how much interest their is for it. I am certainly going to have at least one for myself.

Found a turbo for the guys that want down low and boost almost all the way up the range to 3500: Been working on this for a little but need testing, will be testing the turbo after I determine the mods needed to make it fit. Since everyone is wanting an off the line turbo. Should be a good fit. I should be able cover what either the towing or daily driver wants. Will be starting a thread in the ATT forum, to discuss the needs and wants. ONE turbo (where have I heard that) is not the end all be all of turbos, there are more ways to run things than just what someone thinks is best, time and people will tell the true story. Will be a bolt on kit if it is possible. If it is real close I may just offer the turbo ,and people can fab their own or buy a kit to install it.

We will see how much interest their is for it. I am certainly going to have at least one for myself.

so, what kind is it? from your same supplier? thats some good thinkin on your part, covers everybody..... is it a waste-gate or non waste gate? i am interested to see what ATT industries is going to offer....

Yes same supplier, I am waiting to see how the dimensions workout before I say anything. Also may have have another turbo upgrade as well. Yes the new turbo is waste gated.

Tried to see if a turbine housing could be designed to cover a larger rpm range but there are trade offs in everything. I guess I cold just buy a knock off and say how excellent it is but, I like testing before saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you think I don't see the dig you're attempting to take at me, you're kidding yourself, and only showing your insecurities and the frustration.

I'm not in competition with you or anyone else. Just sharing my experiments with a turbo and how it was installed.

Yes same supplier, I am waiting to see how the dimensions workout before I say anything

I guess I cold just buy a knock off and say how excellent it is but, I like testing before saying.

What the heck is an ATT? It's a mitsu chinese knockoff. So by attempting to take a swipe at me you're kicking yourself in the butt.

I have nothing to sell,or hide. Matter of fact I'm confident my turbo will hold up also because yours and mine come from same communist country.

As far as testing goes dennis what the heck do you think the vids/posts I'm posting are all about.

Sharing info, no testing in secret because I have nothing to gain by hiding progress/failure.

You on the other hand have taken my build as a direct threat, of which there was none.

The turbo I'm using would go up against yours any day of the week and I post the vids to prove it.

If you're looking for a war of the turbos I will take that challenge, same truck and tune and let the chips fall where they may. ATT VS HX40 HYBRID.

If you read my posts,which I know you do, I state all the facts as they come out, and yes I brag that anyone can have this performance for half of what you charge.

I like testing before saying.

I like testing and saying. Isn't that what a build thread is?? I'm sharing as I go. Sometimes I just wish you would. [GO!!!]

Unless you want this thread to get ugly keep your smart ass comments to yourself.

I don't suffer fools very well, please don't be one.

We could accomplish more working together VS fighting eachother.

When you can post an 8000+ lb. burb with 3.42s doing 0-60/ in 9 sec. and 0-80 in 16 sec than you will command my attention.

Otherwise leave me out of your quest to be el numero uno, I just want to share for free, no profit execpt knowledge and knowing I contributed to the 6.5 community that has helped me from knowing nothing to being able to hopefully share something positive.

So from here on out if you attack me I will be the better man and ignore you and not justify your insecurities or jabs with any answer at all.

Please let it go and move on I will/have.

THE ZOMBIE. :thumbsup:

If my HX 52 don't work, I might try a HX 40 . And if I don't like it I can put it on my Cummins, it is currently making 50 psi with a very shot HX 35.

I may have fibbed, its more like a 10 second 0-60 ;) It takes a second from when you hear the exhaust note from pressing the pedal and the needle jump off zero. So I am looking at ~26 seconds into the video to ~36 seconds for 0-60. The first time I was talking on the phone and didnt have the sounds turned up :)

Thats still pretty darn good, I'm sure it feels good and puts you back in the seat. The engine sounds nice, they love to breath easy. With the 14cm^2 turbine housing you might pick up a second on that.

Back