• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The down and dirty on a 7.3 IDI Trubo

Anubis

Being fat sucks
Reaction score
People's Republic of Michiganistan, United Sociali
I set out looking for a V2500 Suburban. Instead I found a 94 Crew Cab fatback 2wd Ford with a 7.3 IDI Turbo (Vin "K"). The asking price is $4000 but I bet they would take $3000.

Not looking for opinions or to start that whole Ford vs Chevy argument. I don't want to know about E4OD problems. Just want the down and dirty on a 7.3L IDI turbo.

This truck has 211,XXX miles of pulling a 30' 5th Wheel. What should I expect? Are the injectors ready to fail? Are there Lift Pump problems to be aware of? What is the cavitation problem? Gasket problems? Anything else? Basically I want to know what parts and tools to take for the drive from Dallas back to Michigan. This is an all stock engine, no HP mods.

The other one that interested me is a 92 crewcab fatback with a 460 and a gearvendors........ It has more miles but the GV is worth the asking price (because the seller doesn't know what it is) and I know what to expect from a high mileage 460.

The 7.3 IDI turbo is a bit more of a problematic engine. This was the final year Ford offered the IDI before going to the Powerstroke. The factory installed turbo is known for doing one thing: blowing head-gaskets. Of course that's easily fixable by head-studs and a good quality gasket.

The cavitation problem is a result of a chemical imbalance between the block and the coolant. Without the addition of proper additives into the coolant system, and changes regularly to keep the additive up, the coolant will start to eat away at the engine block. But with 200,000 miles, the engine would be dead already if the owner hadn't kept up on the coolant, just ask about it and make sure.

Other than that they aren't all that bad of an engine. They are pretty durable. Plus you already know about the E40D so short of an auxiliary trans cooler for insurance you should be good to go.

But if the diesel falls through than defiantly pick up the 460 with the gear vendors unit in it. That's good stuff right there.

I have been doing a lot of research on these motors, the 7.3 block is supposedly better than the 6.9 and the turbo one has better connecting rods,and injectors. I our area I see a lot of these diesels on the road. Also every body I know that has one beats the crap out of them and they refuse to die.

I am prolly not the only one to spy the GV controller next to the trailer brake controller in the pic. The 460 is from an estate sale.

I called on the 7.3. They don't know anything about its history other than its obviously been loved on, no rips in the interior, no stains, clean engine compartment, a receipt for every oil change for the last 10 years and a receipt for a new transmission at 174,000 miles. They said they got it and the 5er from an auction due to storage lean.

I have been doing a lot of research on these motors, the 7.3 block is supposedly better than the 6.9 and the turbo one has better connecting rods,and injectors. I our area I see a lot of these diesels on the road. Also every body I know that has one beats the crap out of them and they refuse to die.

yeah, thats what I see around here too. I do see alot with transmission problems though.

yeah, thats what I see around here too. I do see alot with transmission problems though.

Having the receipt for the transmission at 174K is a great plus. Like I said just make sure you adding an auxiliary cooler should you want to go with this one. These trans aren't cheap to replace or repair:eek: But you already know that.

I would be weary about them not knowing anything about the coolant. The cavitation will start to pit the cylinder walls and "pepperbox" the block if it hasn't founds its way through parts of it already. I'm not exactly sure as to what the rate of cavitation is, but the fact that they don't know anything about it isn't good.

yeah, the more I talk to them the shadier it sounds....... you just don't find crew cab duallies in decent condition for $4000..... be it Ford or Chevy. I should call my cousin that lives in Clebourne to go look at it for me.

now in the case of the 92 with the 460. They don't know what they got and it looks like the want a quick sale because the old man died and they want cash instead of toys..... And when you look at the pics it has 230,XXX miles worth of wear on it. Its clean but in average shape for a 92 crewcab fatback.

Bah. In that case it may not even be worth it on the 7.3. Plan it out. Buy the 460 with the Gear Vendors unit. Then part out the truck, make use of what you can, then use the surplussed funds to find something else.

Who knows, maybe I would even buy that GV unit off you!

GM cooling tabs can hide alot on a 7.3 block....I have seen just the opposite inmy experiences. I have never seen a 6.9 have a block failure from cavitation but seen almost all 7.3's do it unless care was taken like BigBlue stated. I think he hit the nail pretty good.

Bah. In that case it may not even be worth it on the 7.3. Plan it out. Buy the 460 with the Gear Vendors unit. Then part out the truck, make use of what you can, then use the surplussed funds to find something else.

Who knows, maybe I would even buy that GV unit off you!

problem with that is.... I don't have anywhere to park it while I strip it. other problems are .... nobody is buying parts. People are buying diesel fuel system parts but other used parts are not selling ........ I would end up paying $2500 for the truck, flying out to Oregon to drive it back .... so at $300 for the plane ticket and $600 to drive it back I would be $3400 in it. The only part that would sell right away is the GV...... If I sold the GV I would be stuck with a truck with no transmission tail shaft..... If I was going to buy a truck to strip i would be looking locally for a rust bucket.... not looking a couple thousand away for a rust free truck.

anyways, I got some more info on the diesel, it has been punched in the nose. my cousin said the paint on the fenders and hood doesn't the rest of the truck..... said it pulls hard to 80 mph and drives straight. No leaks that he could find, only a little smoke on start up. Also said it has an oil bypass filter and a coolant filter. The engine bay is not that dirty but not clean like they just steamed it

no DTC codes on the transmission.

problem with that is.... I don't have anywhere to park it while I strip it. other problems are .... nobody is buying parts. People are buying diesel fuel system parts but other used parts are not selling ........ I would end up paying $2500 for the truck, flying out to Oregon to drive it back .... so at $300 for the plane ticket and $600 to drive it back I would be $3400 in it. The only part that would sell right away is the GV...... If I sold the GV I would be stuck with a truck with no transmission tail shaft..... If I was going to buy a truck to strip i would be looking locally for a rust bucket.... not looking a couple thousand away for a rust free truck.

anyways, I got some more info on the diesel, it has been punched in the nose. my cousin said the paint on the fenders and hood doesn't the rest of the truck..... said it pulls hard to 80 mph and drives straight. No leaks that he could find, only a little smoke on start up. Also said it has an oil bypass filter and a coolant filter. The engine bay is not that dirty but not clean like they just steamed it

no DTC codes on the transmission.

Ok so maybe the 7.3 isn't such a bad idea after all. What makes you want to buy a second truck if you don't mind me asking? I'm in that same boat right now myself. Using your daily driver as a project truck is NEVER a good idea.:rolleyes5:

I had to scrap my truck. while i was cleaning the frame and getting ready to replace the engine (I was ready to pop the $1200 for a new block) I found a rust hole and a crack in the frame. it was at that point i decided I was going to buy something from outside the rustbelt. I started out looking for a V2500 'Burb but found a few dually Fords that also peaked my interest.

I had to scrap my truck. while i was cleaning the frame and getting ready to replace the engine (I was ready to pop the $1200 for a new block) I found a rust hole and a crack in the frame. it was at that point i decided I was going to buy something from outside the rustbelt. I started out looking for a V2500 'Burb but found a few dually Fords that also peaked my interest.

Sorry to hear that. I've been looking for a second truck myself and let me tell you, its been a challenge trying to find them around here. Even the 6.5's. Going out as much as 500 miles and getting minimal results on a decent diesel.

Have you considered buying a Burb from a junkyard and dropping a diesel into it? Be-it a 6.9, 7.3, 6.5 or hell even a cummins?

yes, yes I have. but I decided on a running truck from the 10 western. be it Ford or Chevy. I have had 2 chevys in a row now so I am kinda leaning towards the Ford. When it comes to a full size truck I don't really care if its Ford or Chevy...... just I will never own anything chrysler ever again.

well the deal fell through. We agreed on $3500, I sent a $500 deposit via western union. the called me while I booking the flight to Dallas to get it said they were sending my deposit back. They sold it for more money. This is the second time this has happened to me in as many years. I hate buying vehicles over the internet.

the gasser in Oregon is still forsale, I wonder what I can sell a rust free truck in michigan for ..........

Back