• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The beast got a black eye.

trouttrooper

Big Blocks ROCK!!!
Reaction score
So my wife called and said she slid off the road in the mountains and bent the front bumper. She sent pictures and the right side has been pushed in and up a little. Not much, but enough that the lower plastic rubs the tire and she had to cut a chunk off so she could drive it.

My question is this. Are all 2500HD/3500 front bumpers the same from '01 to '06? I know there are subtle differences in the grille/headlight/hood but I've never really paid attention beyond that. I may be able to take mine off and bend it back, but I have my doubts. I'm also looking to fix this without spending any more money than I have to.

Newer bumpers are just for appearances. A come-along would likely pull it back in place if anchored to something.

Might loosen the bolts and use the come along. Mine has been torqued on a cow a few times, hit a good snow bank, and a hay bale twice. Prett straight considering. The only mark on it is from the metal parking rails at the doughnut shop. 03-06 are what you want though.

a buddy who has an LBZ and his dad an 06 half ton learned the hard way to only drive forward in corn stalks. I swear his 01 chrysler minivan handles cornstalks better. more cornstalks wedged in the unibody on that puppy than 3 high school guys' lifted pickups combined. :) so is the life of the party van....if the dealer only offers 600 bucks, you take it to the field as the new service van.

back on topic... :)

if its too bent, there is that guy on CL in boise that specializes in GMT800 parts. you can find his number by searching "diesel" and clicking on that 2wd allison he cant get rid of. :)

best of luck!

Truck is driveable and not high on my list since our weather turned to crap and I don't want to deal with this in the cold and snow. Appreciate the offer. Looking like I can pick one up around here for a couple hundred. I don't know how much you would want, but I bet shipping would kill me.

I had found a replacement through a local junkyard. He had it shipped from another one. Turned out the other junkyard used a cutting torch to take the bumper off and also cut off the mounting locations. Stupid people anyway, turned a good looking bumper into a useless piece of metal. Long story short, a new corner brace and new fog light and the beast is 99% back to original with the original bumper. I found out the bend and twist was caused mainly by the outer brace being bent from the impact. Lower plastic piece still has the corner cut off but at this point in time it's just a cosmetic thing that's not really noticeable.

I will say the bumper was a lot easier to remove than I thought it would be.

Idiots...

Good to hear it wasn't much trouble, and a simple fix. There isn't much to bumpers on modern vehicles anymore...

True. The bumpers on my 1970 are like steel girders for a skyscraper. I pity the fool...

same with the bodies.

a buddy had an antelop run full steam into the side of his 73-87 truck. hard enough to break its own neck. tweaked the fuel filler door hinge, and that was it. old iron ftw!

Back