• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thanks Bison

chessie 6.5

Reaction score
Thanks for the tutorial on the IP and emails. I was able to take pump apart, replace shaft seals and sucessfully reassemble.A lot different than old 5.7 and 6.2 pumps Truck is running great now.:thumbsup:

Most info was in thread. I only messed up when I loosened OPS and then discovered it was adjustable and I didn't mark setting. Didn't understand what he said to mark in thread till after I loosened it...DOH. I went by his pictures to reinstall it and guess from his info if I set it right. Looks like it also moves ring at bottom and effects fuel timing.

Yes, Bison is a very knowledgeable individual. Chessie, I am wondering what you ment when you said it moves a ring at the bottom of the OS and effects the fuel timing? I just put in a new/used OS and It took care of most of my problems but it still seems a little under powered. I did scrib a line and put it in pretty much the exact same spot. BK95 came over and set my timing at 3.5 but still seems underpowered at 55mph when going up a slight hill.

the os clamps tight to IP body through a slotted hole. The threads go into the cam ring that the fuel rollers ride on. Moving the os moves the cam ring one way or the other. This will alter the timing of the start and end of roller movement, sort of like altering camshaft timing in an engine. At least, that is what it appears to me to do. I haven't read enough to see what the os actually does with all those slots in that plastic or whatever ring. I was just trying to fix my leak, so I didn't read everything Bison and others posted.

Okay thanks for the reply Chessie. I just thought by reading your post that I needed to adjust a ring at at the bottom of the OS. I just seem under powered, and it might have been since I put in the OS but not sure being it is the wifes rig. I might have to start another thread on that issue.

Like I stated before, BK95 came over and ran the GMTDScan on the truck this weekend and he left the timming at -1.87 I think. But he did move the injection pump towards the passenger side to get 3.5 if that makes any sense. I am still learning the software program. But I still don't seem to have the power that I think it should. Would going in the pump and doing an optic bump possibly move the numbers that we got? I do believe I got the OS in the exact same spot that the original one was at.

Glad to have been of help,that saves at least 2 guys from having to replace the whole IP .:thumbsup:

These pumps aint rocket science folks,i find them simpler than the mech pumps.

Doober,you can measure the clearance between the dr side of the housing and the OS with a set of feeler gauges,compare that to the clearance specs in my IP tread.

Back