• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

testing a cheap lift pump

That was a good first vid :arms:
Suggest you use some insulated spade connectors though. If you still have the tank sock the prefilter can wait.

I'd like to offer a FTB kit, but have not had time to mock one up so I.m not sure what all needs to be done. I think running the hose over the intake would be a good choice mainly because it would be accessable.

yes, that is my plan to run one on top of the intake with some small loops to hold it and a small psi gauge in that line right before the pump so if you ever have a question about how much fuel pressure you have you can you can just pop your hood and check. i have a fear of mechanical oil and fuel gauges in the cab. the only down side would be trying to see that pressure gauge under load.

it is a $15 mechanical gauge from Autozone that i will have to check for leaks every day. it is only about a 1 1/4 inch in diameter and comes with a small 3/8 T-fitting that i could mount in between the FFM and the pump. i know it is not the best idea. but i feel like it would help out just to have it there. the only way i could see it under load would be to remove the hood and take a test drive, but that is fine for me i just want to be able to see where the pressure is at at idle, that will also help with diagnosing a no-start or stalling problem in the future.

This is great info.

Please update us along the way on how this LP is doing.

Thanks for taking the time to experiment.

all in all the whole system together is impressive! doing it in fazes like i did showed me how much is to gain from both the pump and the FTB kit. i would fully suggest either of these mods (a lift pump or a FTB kit) but together it is really amazing. i thought my truck ran good before this, but now all the shifting problems are gone. the truck runs so much smoother and is 10x more peppy. i wish i had a dyno close by because the truck feels very strong. so far i am very happy. soon i will upload a video of the truck running with the gauge. it bounces a lot but shows about 12psi at idle which is about what i expected from a pump made for gas.

Good job. Did you put new fitting/s on the FFM? I see the PMD ext cable going off to the firewall :nonod: Get that thing out of the engine bay :hihi:

Yes on the ffm. It was drilled out to 7/16th and tapped for a 3/8 barbed fitting. And the pmd is behind the drivers head lamp. Between the battery and the headlamp. I drilled and tapped the frame rail and bolted the heat sink there. I could post a few pics of that also.

Best place for PMD is outside the 4 walls of the engine bay. If its on the battey side I'd say to move it to the headlight side of core support.
Its a good feeling when your truck runs right like your is now.

Well since I did my FT B mod I have started leaking from the fuel heater on bottom of the ffm. I didn't see if at first and now it leaves a small puddle wherever I park. It also makes it start a little funny when she sits over night. Not a big problem just thought I would let people know that if you do a FT B mod you will save time and headaches by just ordering a ffm seal kit from leroy. I didn't know he sold them until I read it on another thread ( you need to update that website burning oil. I would have much less savings in the bank if I knew all the items you sold). But all I all I am still very happy and have been having great luck with this cheap pump so far.. will post again if anything changes.

So here is an update on this cheap pump. So far so good, still running strong. Hold about 12 psi at idle, though the gage bounces around when the engine us running. The only down fall I can complain about is the noise, this thing is loud. Crazy loud, annoying loud, stupid loud. Loud enough to make me, a back woods boy from Indiana whom loves loud trucks , complain about how loud it is. Next few things for the truck are. An insulator box for this loud pump, a set of latter bars, head studs & injectors. Then I will just need to find a good dyno shop within driving distance.

Look on the bright side: You know it's working because of the noise and the sudden silence will give you .02 seconds warning before the engine quits. But, because it's so loud it will last forever. :p

Maybe it's time to test a "quiet" lift pump?

Another option is a fuel pressure isolator, an absolute must imo.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Mallory/650/29806/10002/-1

I cheaped out for a mechanical gauge, and an isolator. The gauge is very noisy and bounces when running anything over idle. The isolator started leaking INTERNALLY and let the antifreeze and diesel start to mix in the line. I have clear lines and caught it in time.

I wish I had bought the electric gauge the first time. DiRtFT; Do it Right the First Time. Just remembering and sharing, not putting anybody down. Enjoy the adventure while you can, nobody gets out of this game alive.
;)

Update: I bought this;
Longacre 46535 electric Gauge, Fuel Pressure 0-15 PSI
Google it. It comes with everything except the brass T and hose barbs for same. I love it and wish I had done this when I first bought the Burb. NO it is not cheap. I wasted enough money on cheap-o's and much aggravation. It's in my dash now, next to the boost gauge. since it's a little over $100 shipping is free. Super easy install, backlight is led blue or red. I set the warning light to come on at 4psi, flash at 2psi.

Back