• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Temperature questions

mitchedo

Reaction score
When the weather was cool, my truck heat gauge was stead at 190 -- matching the thermostat. However, it got to about 90 the other day, and I noticed my fan making noise. I looked at the gauge, and it was a full tick and a half above where it had been in the cooler weather. The fan brings it right back down and then it quiets down. I'm still in the "don't drive at a constant speed" phase of break-in. I am doing a lot of 3/4 go-pedal hard acceleration between 60-75 mph whilst driving to and from work. I have 800 miles on it now, so I may chill out a bit.

Does this predict that I am going to have cooling issues when I hook my 7000 lb camping trailer and head up a 6-9% grade in 100 degree heat with my AC roaring full blast?

How high should I let it go. Can it go to 220? Should I make sure it's lower? The redline in the gauge is out of the question.

Hows your fan clutch? Age, type? It should never even go past 210 IMO especially if you're not towing anything.

You verified temp with a scanner?

From my experiences once it starts climbing past 210 it already is out of its envelope and will only get hotter. It will never 'settle' at 215 for example.

Perhaps you need a earlier engaging clutch. YOu sure your A/F is at a 50/50 blend? not too much A/F?

Back