• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Teds 6.5 rolling smoke

oilslick

Reaction score
I finally got my friends truck running with the teds engine today, man that was a lot of work to swap, granted I got to only work on it a little at a time which sucks for me! It fired up quick and runs great with 60 psi @ idle, very quiet too. I will roadtest tomorrow to see how it likes boost!! Anyway just thought I would update you all, so far so good!!!

Update, I ran her today, it performs well better than the jasper although I havent timed it yet! It seems to like his heath tune with 3-4" downpipe exhaust and smooth crossover. I think he will want me to put in cooler thermostats and I am unable to find 180,s for it. Overall it is far quieter than my 6.5 and has way too much oil pressure If I was doing it again I would stick with the original pump.

Id stick with the 195 stat.. I have a 180 and its not running efficient.. Will admit never goes above 180, but im looking for better fuel mileage now.

When I first read it I thought it was 60psi boost. :eek:

My dads 350 puts out over 90psi at idle its right around 90 and thats with over 100,000 miles on it. Before it was probably around 100 at idle. They put in a high pressure pump when they rebuilt it at the first 100,000.

I put the high volume oil pump in my 599 block that was made for the squirter blocks. The oil pressure stays about 60, but goes to 40 at lowest..

10 psi per 1000rpm is a rule on gas IDK about diesels , I just figure to much and it is bypassing making more heat in oil and wasting power possibly hard on turbo seals. too

10 psi per 1000rpm is a rule on gas IDK about diesels , I just figure to much and it is bypassing making more heat in oil and wasting power possibly hard on turbo seals. too

From what I heard from the military 6.2 it was like you said, 10psi for every 1000 rpm. But that was a minimum of what you want.

Just a stab in the dark here...if you pump more oil to the top end of the motor then the return oil holes can flow back down into the block/sump couldn't that cause excessive oil to be carried through the tuna can back into the turbo inlet on the passenger head? What would happen to the drivers side head, were would the excessive oil go?

Just sharing some of my experiences here from my Harley Davidson builds, on those Vtwin motors we opt to drill out & slightly over size the return oil holes in the head breather vents to assure no oil puddles up in the top ends.

This may not apply to these motors at all, I am not sure I understand how the drivers side of the motor equalizes the pressure in the top of the valve cover along with the passenger side??? How does the tuna can setup pull the oil vapors from the drivers side of the motor?

The old 455 gassers were known to load up the top end and then starve for oil.
Bill's 150 MPH high RPM 6.5/6.2 engine bent several rods from the oil coming through the CDR.

So you have some room to play before you reach the limit.

The worst concern is pumping up the lifters with excessive oil pressure or twisting off the oil pump drive with really cold oil. IMO as tight as these engines are I don't see the need for a high output oil pump on a non-squirter block.

Concure with the advice on the oil pumps. WRT Bill's racer, the decision to go with the high output oil pump the engine builders fitted it with drained the pan at 5000 rpm, pushing it all upstairs. "We determined that the CDR system had pulled in some oil which had apparently gotten pretty deep in the valve cover. This fed a slug of oil to one turbo which then blew it into the engine resulting in hydrostatic lock and bent connecting rods." Bill Heath, MaxxTorque Vol2 issue 4.

Fortunately, it was still drivable so we didn't have to come up with an alternate means of getting it back on the trailer. But I digress.

Glad the motor is in and working. Hope VegTech's is equally successful as well as Orion's.

The old 455 gassers were known to load up the top end and then starve for oil.
Bill's 150 MPH high RPM 6.5/6.2 engine bent several rods from the oil coming through the CDR.

So you have some room to play before you reach the limit.

The worst concern is pumping up the lifters with excessive oil pressure or twisting off the oil pump drive with really cold oil. IMO as tight as these engines are I don't see the need for a high output oil pump on a non-squirter block.
I heard 6.2L were good at doing that.

Back