• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lpagoada

Reaction score
It’s hard to start with one particular spot on what’s wrong with my truck. I have a 97 chevy c2500 with the 6.5 turbo diesel. I had a p1214 code and I used a tech 2 to find out I was at 2.46 degrees which should be .25-75 after 77c or 170 f. I ordered the 3 wrenches to adjust the pump. Adjusted the pump to where I assume correct would be. I’ve easily tried the koko method multiple times to do a relearn. Almost 20 times by now. I erase all the dtc on the truck. Press the gas and turn it off like the manual says for the 45 seconds then 30. I’ve tried adding more time to those as well. The second I turn the truck back on I get 2 codes. P1214 and p0216. I’ve watched the dtc codes live and the data display on my tech2. I’m stumped on what’s setting these 2 codes. I can’t find anyone local who works on these older diesels, I’ve called multiple dealerships and they had me track someone down a few hours away. I tried getting ahold of bill Heath the legend and that took days attempting to find him and nothing. I got ahold of Leroy from Leroys diesels and he thinks it might be pmd related so I ordered a new one but I’m a few hairs off from burning my truck down. I would really like to hear if anyone has any solutions.

So to start with TDCO offset should be a negative number, it can be positive but will not be in spec. Factory spec is -.35 to -.75. In order to change the offset the engine needs to be at operating temperature or nothing will happen. Once you have it up to temp clear codes and then promptly command a learn. Especially on the older obd1 trucks it can get stuck in the out of range timing and be a bear to get it to adjust. So your current TDCO is +2.46? If so you'll need to move the IP towards the drivers side quite a bit say in the 2-4 mm range. Put a scribe mark on it so you can verify how much you are moving it.

what I have learned with setting timing, at least on the obd1's, not sure if this will work on the newer models. once your at operating temps, you can loosen the three nuts on the IP (make a scribe mark first) snug up the top nut so it won't move but still loose enough that you can bump the IP in slight amounts. start her up and with the tech 2, turn on the time set feature so that you can see the actual timing. the offset number will drop to zero while doing this. now with it idling and watching the actual timing, bump the ip one way or the other until you can get as close to 3 to 3.5 degrees. snug up the top nut and command the learn function. this will get you in the neighborhood and should only need VERY minor tweaks to get it within spec.

looking online at those two codes, if you cannot get it close to spec, there may be an issue with the stepper motor in the IP. be sure to check all the wiring to the IP and the connectors for corrosion.

Back