• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tahoe Motor Is Blown Up

6.2 turbo

Reaction score
I was building boost in 3rd with the convertor locked,and something made a munching sound,and it shut off. It has no compression,and puffs out the oil fill . It builds oil psi, and the crank seems connected to each end. I think it threw a rod and broke the cam,and some how it catches enough to build some oil psi. There is no water in the oil,and no hole in the oil pan or block. You can hear a slight rattle when turning it over.

Busted crankshaft.

Broke a glow plug, shattered the turbo, etc would be my second guess with debris punching a hole in some pistons. This is just from puffs from the oil fill.

A broken cam will allow some compression.

Sorry to hear, you were really getting that thing dialed in. I would assume the boost level was just a bit higher than factory from what you have said before :)

Did you do anything to the bottom end on this one? I know you said you were going to try no girdle, is that the case?

My cousin and I will pull the front diff and oil pan tonight. As good as it ran I won't give up right away.

Number 8 rod is broke,and all the rest are bent. Now I know why it started harder after modifying the ip . The rods must have bent the first time it boosted 38-40 psi. Although high compression does make them run,It's just a bandaid for not enough fuel. I can make more power than I had,with low compression,but will have to work harder for it. How many 6.5's bent all the rods without hydro-locking ? Still not sure why it seem to have no compression,but the block might be OK.

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 89
Hey mister.. Your wristpin is pointing the wrong way...

Whoa now...

Yeah you got some squeeze there 6.2!

:eek: YIKES! That's a nasty one. They usually like to ventilate themselves while their at it. Hope to hear the block made it through but I won't hold my breath waiting for it.

Running 38-40 psi with stock compression on a stock bottem end that does not suprise me one bit that Somthing let go. I'm sorry to hear that it happend I know how much time, effort and money goes into a build.

Could always have the rods shot peened. That may give the you a better shot of it staying together. Along with going to like 18-19:1?

Back