• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tahoe 4" exhaust install with resonator/muffler

n8in8or

I never met a project I didn’t like
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the 6.5 diesel thing having just bought my 97 Tahoe in November 2013. I've been doing repairs and modifications based on what I've been reading on here and the info has been very valuable. There wasn't much info on installing a 4" exhaust on a Tahoe/Yukon other than "yeah it can be done", so I bit the bullet and did it this weekend and took many pictures to help those contemplating the same thing on theirs. The other thing I did was give an FTE 4" x 30" Resonator/Muffler a try. I had read other people with the Diamond Eye exhaust complain of drone and I definitely didn't want that since I drive this daily and I like my girlfriend to enjoy riding in my truck with me.

While I was at it, I also installed an IMCO 2.5" crossover. I bought a kit off a vendor on Ebay that sold the crossover with doughnuts and new studs and nuts. It fit great. The problem with that install is that at some point in its life the crossover must have been leaking because someone put bugger welds all over the crossover and the mounting bolts on the driver side so that had to be cut off and then I had to drill and tap the manifold. Also, I did find that it was easier to access the passenger side with the downpipe removed - it wasn't difficult to get a socket on the bolts with it in place, but it did give me much more room to heat up the manifold with a torch so I could get the bolts out. The crossover removal and installation took about 2 hours even with the downpipe removal and manifold drilling/tapping, so not too bad.

Installation results: It took much more modifying than I anticipated but most of that was due to the resonator installation. They recommend that the resonator go as close to the downpipe as possible to be most effective at reducing drone, so in order to do that I actually had to shorten the downpipe so it would fit in the cramped confines of where the cat used to be. All told I have about 5 hours in the modifying and installation of the exhaust (not including the crossover installation time), but I am very pleased with the results - it fits in there nice and tight and I don't have any rattles. Also the tailpipe exit looks pretty good as well. I would like it to be angled down just a little bit, but if I do that it hits the crossmember over the rear axle. I may be able to loosen the ball and socket connection at the front and then rotate the pipes out back, but for now I'm happy enough with the results - it's just a little above level at the moment. I also want to say that this is the first time I've used band clamps and they made the installation much easier since I could tighten everything down and then I could loosen it for slight tweaks to get everything just right. I will be using band clamps as much as possible in my future exhaust installs. One other note: all of the tubing, both the exhaust and the resonator, was nice and heavy so it made fabrication much easier. It also gives me good confidence in the longevity of the system.

Sound results: I am happy to report that I have absolutely no drone! I haven't driven it much yet, but I did do a loop yesterday with freeway 70mph driving and backroad 55mph driving, as well as in town and I didn't notice drone once – the resonator definitely works as well as advertised. At idle the exhaust is noticeable inside, but it's just a slight V8 rumble. I would say that the diesel clack is still louder inside than the exhaust. Once moving it's not much louder. When you get on it, it's still a manageable noise level until about 2700 rpm, then it starts talking to you - it startled me the first time I did it when I was getting on the highway! I'm also happy to report that with my stock K47 airbox and NAPA gold filter I have some pleasant whistle to taunt people with.

Here are some pics I took during the install, some of them are a little out of focus as I took everything with my phone and I apologize for that, but I think they're good enough to tell what's going on here. In the pics I have shown the portions of tubing that I cut off the end or sectioned out. I also have the crossover in there to show what it looks like and the muffler delete pipe that came with the exhaust kit but didn't use. In the installed pics you can see the hangers I added. The front hanger is a hanger from the stock exhaust that I was able to reuse. The second hanger is one that I cut off the supplied clamp/hanger with the exhaust kit. The last hanger on the tailpipe is one I made out of 1/2" solid bar. Some of the installed pics look kind of redundant, this is because it was hard to get good shots of how it fits so hopefully with enough examination you can see how it fits. Midpipe hanger R.jpgMidpipe installed 3 R.jpgMidpipe installed 2 R.jpgMidpipe installed 1 R.jpgDownpipe to Midpipe installed R.jpgDownpipe and Crossover installed 3 R.jpgDownpipe and Crossover installed 2 R.jpgDownpipe and Crossover installed R.jpgMidpipe to Over axle pipe installed R.jpgHigh heat paint R.jpg Enjoy.
Tailpipe with hanger and extra R.jpgCrossover R.jpgDownpipe with extra R.jpgMidpipe with Resonator and extra R.jpgMidpipe extra pipe closeup 1 R.jpgMidpipe extra pipe closeup 2 R.jpgOver axle pipe with extra R.jpgResonator next to Midpipe R.jpgMuffler delete pipe R.jpgAll pipes R.jpg

I see you can only do 20 pics per post so here are the rest. You will also see where the gas tank skid plate was trimmed to make clearance for the tailpipe. Also I apologize for the order of the pics, I clearly have some learning to do about posting, but I'll get it eventually...Tailpipe installed 2 R.jpgTailpipe installed R.jpgTailpipe and Gas tank shield installed 2 R.jpgTailpipe and Gas tank shield installed R.jpgOver axle pipe hanger R.jpgOver axle pipe and Tailpipe installed R.jpgMidpipe to Over axle pipe installed 2 R.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot to add a video I took of the first startup. It's mild sounding but you can hear the whistle now.[video=youtube;yQALCGii5a8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQALCGii5a8&feature=share&list=UUzcsFLzQpH9knhW1anDzBJA[/video]

Thanks guys! Yeah I can't believe how much faster the turbo spools now. When I bought the truck it had vacuum solenoid issues so it smoked about every other time I'd take off from a stop - so I'm sure the cat was all sooted up. Now if it would only stop snowing so I could really enjoy this thing!

I'm interested in how things work for you once the weather conditions allow you give it a true test. I like how the system sounds in the video, but the true test is on the road.

I installed a DE system, with their muffler, a couple years ago. My only dislike for the DE is the sound/volume of the muffler. The sound is not hard to put up with when going easy and on flat ground. But, Oregon has a lot of various sized hills which means I have to frequently deal with a loud exhaust. The upside is that I've been forced to learn how to go easy on the go pedal and drive to match my age.

I've looked online at various muffler/resonator combos, but have never taken the plunge yet because I can't afford to waste money on something that doesn't do a good job.

Don

I wanted to follow up on this now that I've driven on it for a few months.

I really enjoy this exhaust with this resonator installed. At highway speeds the exhaust sound is just barely louder than it was with the stock exhaust, which is fantastic. Around town it has a noticeable exhaust sound - when I'm by myself it's an enjoyable noise, when my girlfriend is with me I sometimes wish it was quieter, but not very often. The only time it gets "loud" is when you get on it and you start getting up around 2700 RPM, most of the time it's just a nice mellow V8 sound. I do get a nice whistle out of it with the windows down, so I'm really enjoying that. Since I have a Tahoe, I probably get a little more sound inside than a pickup would, so I bet it would be really nice and quiet inside a pickup. Again, I do not get ANY drone, and that was my primary objective - this resonator does exactly what it is said to do! I highly recommend both the Diamond Eye exhaust (though I had to modify it for my application) and the FTE Resonator/Muffler - both have been high quality products that have made me love my truck even more.

I should do another follow up on this thread since I ended up making a change to the exhaust this summer. I wanted to get rid of the restrictive EGR style intake. So I swapped my lower intake for the non-EGR vin "F" intake, but unfortunately the upper I had was for a mechanical pump and wasn't drilled for the MAP and IAT sensors. I didn't have a 1/4" pipe tap so the only thing I had the ability to do at the moment was hog out my existing VIN "S" upper intake. It all went well, but when I was done I noticed that the exhaust was louder! And it was more exhaust noise coming from the rear, not noise coming from the intake. It was more rumble and not drone, so the resonator seemed to be doing its job still, it just wasn't muffling enough anymore. This surprised the crap out of me. I dealt with it for a while, but it was just more noise inside than I really wanted...we were going to take the Tahoe on a little trip and I didn't want the extra interior noise so I decided to add a muffler to the system.

Unfortunately, since it's a Tahoe I had very little room to work with. I found a short muffler that would fit the bill - Dynomax Ultra Flo part number 21172. It has a 15" case length, 9" diameter body and a straight-through design. It was still just a little too long for the space I had so I had to cut the tubes and weld one end to the tailpipe, but it was still a clean install in the end. I am very pleased with the results. The exhaust is nice and quiet again and I haven't noticed a penalty in power because of it. The one downside I did notice is that I can't hear the turbo whistle nearly as well anymore, which is disappointing, but I'd rather have that than a noisy interior.

I don't have any muffler/exhaust pics right now, but I do have some of the intake. I'll try to take some exhaust pics soon and post them.
lower before.jpg
lower after.jpg
upper before.jpg
upper after.jpg

i managed to get the exhaust out the back without trimming the tank skidplate by using only the bend on the last section and putting two 45* bends to clear both the tank and rear wheel.

and i'm just wondering, how long did it take you to swap the egr to the non egr intake?
i have both the upper and lower laying around waiting for the time to do it.

Yeah I can see how the extra bends would allow it to snake through there without trimming, but for mine I'm pleased with the results by just trimming the skid plate.

Hmmmm, I'm trying to remember.....I'm going to say that it took about 2 hours to just do the intake swap. I think it took an additional 45 minutes for mine though because of the gutting I had to do to the upper intake. I also redid some ground wires while I was in there as well. So I would say that it shouldn't take more than 2 hours and likely could take less.

Back