• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Synthetics for extra mpgs?

Randy_the_Hack

Reaction score
OK... I just gotta know. A buddy of mine has a Jetta TDI and according to their best information, changing to all synthetic oils, fluids, etc. will buy you an extra 3-5 mpg, IIRC. Considering the size of the car, the hp of the TDI engine, etc., I guess I can see that.

Does this logic carry over to our trucks? My gut tells me no... but I have nothing to base this on. Any have actual experience and hard data to prove it one way or the other?

IMHO, I would say trust your gut. I can see the logic on the Jetta, but I doubt it with the weight and size of our trucks. Someone who IS running full syn may chime in on anything they might have noticed, but somehow I just don't see it.
On second thought, the synthetics should provide better lubricity and protection, thereby making the moving parts do less work by not having to work through a thicker or heavier dino oil. This could turn into the engine and other comonents becoming more efficient thereby improving economy. I'm sure it could proven or disproved with a little tersting and patience, but it could be possible.

when I changed over to synthetic ( amsoil ) I gained 1 to 2 mpg. this has held true for about 20K miles it does change some due to my tinkering with efi live and addiction to test and tunes at the track. I am currently testing for MPG gains by changing the front and rear diffs to amsoil and the T case to 5w 30 amsoil. i'm hoping to see a little more improvement.also going to change the tranny to amsoil torque drive as soon as I get a filter for in the pan, deciding if I want a pretty mag hytech deep pan or just stick with whats working for now.

IIRC all VWs come out of the factory full synthetic so you cant switch back your married to it.

I always tell myself Im gonnna run it but never get around to it. I think Im actually gonna break down and do it this next oil change though.

bonus to synthetic is you can run longer intervals for changing the fluid. I usually run 10K between oil changes and just change the filter every 5K. last time I went 15K due to crappy weather. did a quicky chassis grease and filter change to get me through the winter. i'm not blessed with a garage or shack to do maintenance in

Well, I'm running Valvoline Premium Blue, and I've been using it ever since I bought the truck. Buddy of mine use Mobile 1 and won't use anything else.

Just not sure I'm ready and willing to jump over to Amsoil... but I'm open to info and the possibility of changing things if there's a definite benefit to it, especially in the mpg area.

I keep threatening to try it and now that I'm on a mpg mission, I'd be tempted but then again, I just bought a case of Rotella T dino for my next change and once again I chickened out... I'd sure be interested to see if somebody has actually seen an improvement.

Back