• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Swapping rear end to discs

Non Typical

Roller of the Smoke
Reaction score
So I was at my favorite junkyard, and found an 01 Dmax in there. The truck had been burnt nicely, except for the back five feet. I was going to pull the carrier and sell it, but then decided to take the whole axle. It's a full floater with discs. I am going to put it on my truck. I need to find some 4.10's for it, and clean up the discs and calipers, but other than that, it was in nice shape. I have never seen the carrier in a newer truck, but to me the carrier looks like a car style posi, similar to an Auburn. What is the normal rearend? The truck had been lifted, so I don't know if he had messed with any drive components. When I cracked the pan, clean deep purple synthetic dumped out. :thumbsup: So the engine build is on hold, while I work at this. Anyone done something like this before? Or am I treading on new ground here?

Are there kits out there? I got the axle for $110 to start with. I think it would be pretty involved to swap the current drums for discs. And the newer rearend has a lot better posi unit in it, and a bigger carrier.

If you got the axle for $110 you definately got a deal. Way cheaper than a kit. And yes kits are available.

Take a pic please of the carrier. There are 4 options that I can think of for that differential.

1. Open
2. Eaton G80 that comes from the factory.
3. Dodge torsion-style limited slip that comes in Rams.
4. Spool

Good score. They are wider than the one in your truck now so the rear wheels will stick out more, maybe more than the front.

What is the normal rearend? The truck had been lifted, so I don't know if he had messed with any drive components. When I cracked the pan, clean deep purple synthetic dumped out. :thumbsup:

Most get the Eaton G80... it comes with a synthetic gear lube we Dmax guys affectionately call "grape juice"...

Take a pic please of the carrier. There are 4 options that I can think of for that differential.

2. Eaton G80 that comes from the factory.
It's Probably the Eaton G80

Good score. They are wider than the one in your truck now so the rear wheels will stick out more, maybe more than the front.

Actually 3/4 ton GM's 4x4's have always had a wider track width in the front causing poor tracking...If it is wider than his current he will essentially be doing the same as adding correctrack wheel spacers (2"spacers)which fix GM's problem...

Actually 3/4 ton GM's 4x4's have always had a wider track width in the front causing poor tracking...If it is wider than his current he will essentially be doing the same as adding correctrack wheel spacers (2"spacers)which fix GM's problem...

I just wanted him to check incase it's wider than the front. The narrower rear axle helps with turning raduis.
I have a 10.5 rear out of a new truck for my disc swap and it is almost 4in wider than the stock one in my truck, matches perfectly to the dana 60 I have in the front though. It wouldn't look good if it was wider though.

I understand...just saying the front track on my Dmax is 3+ inches wider than the rear...so I added the correctrack 2" spacers (4 inches total) so now the front is basically even with the rear...rides tracks and handles much better IMO...I just wanted to let him know that by doing this he may actually be making another improvement while he's at it...which I think would be a good thing...:thumbsup:

Sorry took so long to get back. I have been up north for the week, and away from the computer. I measured the axle and it is wider. I am hoping that it will make the back axle stick out enough to match the front of the truck. Which will help with that bad look ):h

Loss of ground clearance isn't a big issue. I will be losing maybe an inch. I have 33's on right now, so I will still be higher than stock.

It is an AAM axle, and I talked to a GM tech, and he said that it was the Eaton G80. It will be a tougher unit I am hoping. Like I said, it looks similar to a car posi. Very different from the 10.5" unit.

And yes it had your "grape" juice. Now I am looking for a 4.10 ring and pinion. Anyone know of anyone selling a set? Even used? As long as they are matched, I am open to buying them.

Sorry took so long to get back. I have been up north for the week, and away from the computer. I measured the axle and it is wider. I am hoping that it will make the back axle stick out enough to match the front of the truck. Which will help with that bad look ):h

Loss of ground clearance isn't a big issue. I will be losing maybe an inch. I have 33's on right now, so I will still be higher than stock.

It is an AAM axle, and I talked to a GM tech, and he said that it was the Eaton G80. It will be a tougher unit I am hoping. Like I said, it looks similar to a car posi. Very different from the 10.5" unit.

And yes it had your "grape" juice. Now I am looking for a 4.10 ring and pinion. Anyone know of anyone selling a set? Even used? As long as they are matched, I am open to buying them.
I have a set of 4.10's for the 11.5 with the Torsion style limited slip. They are still in the axle but I would sell them if your interested. PM me if you want.

anyone ever moved the leaf mounts on the axle before? What am I looking at to move them over? Fab a new piece and weld it on?

sweet. thanks. I guess after that, the only thing I am waiting for is a gear set and i might have to get the driveshaft shortened. i might just put it in with the 3.73.s and lock out 4X until i can get a set of 4.10s

Back