• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Sulastics life expectancy

Pepperidge

Member Advocate
Reaction score
So I went to replace the urethane bushings on the sulastics because the drivers side had failed...figured I'd replace both sides...was about to start on the passenger side first, but realized the rubbertorsion spring on the passenger side has failed...the rubber is cracked/torn(?)

way past the 3 year warranty they offer, but I contacted them anyway since I had just ordered their replacement bushings($40) which I now do not need...they offered the new sulastics to me for $300...I threwe away the factory spring shackles, so It looks like I'll be replacing both sides next week...

I think I purchased mine in June of 2008...so 6 years I guess isn't too bad...would liked them to have lasted longer...

Anyone have them that old need to check them real good though, just to be safe...

attachment.php

Sulastic.jpg this is where it would be for reference

IMAG0625.jpg

Mine were just like that. Also the Mounting Holes were elongated.

I junked them and put the OE Shackles back in, and honestly, didn't notice a Ride difference at all. So maybe they were shot for a long time on my Truck?

I am going to check mine as soon as I get a chance. I have noticed a little difference as well. I was just attributing this ride difference to the age of the truck (and the springs), but I will check. I personally thought they would last longer than that. Thanks for reporting this Paul.

Yeah me too. Mine are 3 1/2 years old and are torn like yours. I contacted them and they said they only have a 3 year warranty but they would give me $40 off a new set. What pisses me off is they said under normal use should last 10 years. I tow a 9000 lb toy hauler occasionally with this truck. I have put about 20,000 miles on this truck in 3 years. The rest of the time it is parked under a carport. So not really sure where they get 10 years. I'm pretty disappointed in them. After I did mine, I threw a set on my Dad's f250 for him. So it will be interesting to see if his hold up.

If they are actually made from polyurethane then they will deteriorate to the point of disintegration. I used a lot of different grades of PU in various designs throughout my engineering career and backed off some when I realized the life wasn't as good as expected

No poly urethane that i could tell...its basically a rubber torsion spring hanger that is supposed to give you a better ride(it does)...its not a helper spring in any way...

Back