• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stupid question.......

doughboy18718

Diesel Retard!
Reaction score
Can the motor still run with out the turbo?

For those of you that have been following and answering my delima's (which I really appreciate by the way) I have a lifter/exhaust problem with my 6.5. If I pull the turbo off to get a better look at the passenger side manifold, am I going to cause the motor to run abnormally? I am not familiar with turbos, and am trying to get familiar with diesels, so I want to be sure before I start pulling things off of the truck.

Thanks!

Yeah it can run w/o the turbo. But be careful not to suck anything down the intake and do something with the oil supply line or it will pump out oil and make a mess.

In other words, you can run without turbo but you cannot take the turbo out without figuring out a way to connect your intake to the exhaust.

What is your problem, may be we can give you suggestion on how to fix it?

Sounds like your dealing with the same problem I had. I can't remember now if it was exhaust or intake valve that wasn't opening. Ended up being one of the little plastic rocker arm retainers - bought a bag of them from GM for about $12.00. Fixed her right up. You can run it without the turbo but make dang sure you unbolt whatever hold down brackets might be on the oil line for the turbo so you can move it far enough to stick the end back in the fill neck. I can tell you from personal expeirence that it pumps a lot of oil fast! I thought I would just stick the oil line in a quart container and crank it up and at least be able to listen to it for a few seconds with the valve cover off. From the time it started running until I walked to the front of the truck the bottle was flowing over..... I've still got a dead spot in my grass.

Smitty

In other words, you can run without turbo but you cannot take the turbo out without figuring out a way to connect your intake to the exhaust.

What is your problem, may be we can give you suggestion on how to fix it?

The truck makes a loud ticking while it runs. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side. The guy I bought it from said it was a lifter gone bad, which I haven't actually ruled out, but the more I listen to it, the more I think it might be the exhaust. With the turbo in the way, I can't see the manifold well enought to see any cracks or leaks. I guess I can always pull the inner fender to see......

Last edited:
Feel around the cross-over donuts and feel for leaks, and around the turbo base. Cheap and easy. Leo

Its better I think to keep the same post going if its a closely related question or related problem so we can follow along as to what's been done or tried.

Let me back up and ask could it be the vacuum pump ticking it makes some noises not heard on other engines and thats a lot of miles. At that many miles all bets are off for a quickie internet diagnosis just keep the info coming and people will try and help with suggestions.

I would have rather tried to run full synthetic in for one oil change before drastic flushing.

Pull the inner fender and tire it's not that hard maybe 10 to 20 mins faster and easier than removing turbo, just need a way of holding battery up with no inner fender. I had a exhaust leak on the passenger side as well, and it was easy to locate with the inner fender out of there, the soot radiating from the leak makes it pretty clear if you do have a leak.

Back