• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stumped

Ragindiesel

Reaction score
We work on a lot of diesels, but I'm stumped on my gasser.

It's a 2002 Avalanche 5.3 z71. Starts great when cold but after warmed up and sits for say 15min it takes a few cranks to get it fired up. All maintance is up to date. Plugs coils injectors are fine fuel pressure is good?

Anyone with any ideas I would deffinetly like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Shawn

sounds like a fuel prob...just wingin' it here,I do know a bit about old small blocks and stuff,I know this is a bit different,but to me-sounds like not enough or too much fuel,when you go to start it,get under the hood and smell,with the air cleaner off,if you smell fuel at start up it is too much,hope this helps...wish we were closer-

No fuel smell. I'm almost leaned toward a pressure regulator leaking fuel into the cylinder and flooding it. It takes about 3 cranks to get it fired up after a little time sitting. Runs strong there after

I don't smell fuel and now have replace the regualtor with no help.

Any other ideas??

Does it run strong, or lose power when it's hot? Possible clogged cat or o2 sensor(s). Any service light?

No all emission control devises are working great and runs strong. Everything I have found pointed to the FPR, but that did not cure the issue. I think I'm going to have to buck up and take to the stealer

I had a vehicle with a bad temp sensor that did the same thing. They have two, one for the gauge and one for the ecm so if it is that than you may still see normal temps like I did.

Plugs and wires? How many miles on the truck? When was the last tune up? it wouldn't be the FPR, it would be a leaky injector, if the FPR was bad, it still shouldn't leak, unless you have a bad injector

Okay but I'm not seeing how the temp sender is causing it to crank long and not start then start right up on the 2nd or 3rd shot.

I will deffinetly check it out Jay. I'll hook the scanner back up and see if I can tell anything

Update, our suburban was doing the same thing, tech at the local shop said it was the fuel filter, got a new one, haven't replaced it yet, tho.

Back