• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stuff I broke in the quest for more power

I'm not overly impressed with my 4l80-E. It will slip on 2nd gear full throttle upshifts.

I would stick to just building the 4L80-E to handle extra power. If it is built right it will truly hold more power then a 6.5 can make. The NV-4500 really is not geared that great. It has way to much of an RPM drop between 3rd and 4th gear.

none of my carnage was ever done by me, I just bought someone elses problems. I drive like your grandma. (not mine, her minivan has found redline a time or two)

94 burb: shitty cooler lines: blown and motor locked
96 junker: NV4500 came apart at 285K miles
new 95 bucket truck: trashed damper, and NV4500 has no 5th gear.
extra parts motor, supposedly 94: wired the wastegate shut, and blew the headgaskets.
91 parts truck. went mudding and blew the 700R4

the impending carnage:
96 GMC, motor runs on 7, idles on 6. still in one piece, but parked until I finish the motor.
95 GMC, huffs hard on one hole, but runs decent, NV4500 makes the most aweful death groan I have heard. will not trust hardly at all. truck is parked until I have a motor ready. have a good pullout trans from a 350 powered ECLB C1500 (yes, it was factory) ready to go behind a fresh motor.
91 Chevy: the 10 bolt is pretty tired, and if I dont get a clutch and pilot bearing, I may take out the input shaft on the 5LM60.

so the only ones not horribly sick are the:
99 Chevy, and it has many small issues: GP wiring, motor mount, frontend, leaks.
93 Chevy K2500, the t-case that adds oil to itself. (damn 4wds) and the rear pinion seal. wont start for crap either, so injectors and GPs are next.
91 GMC, injectors, damper, and leaks.

IDK what really kills autos other than heat and trailers, my boss still drives his service truck full of tools ECLB K1500, cab full, bed full, possibly weighs over 6K lbs, and its 700R4 still makes the lazy 2-3 shift, (never has adjusted the cable or anything) and the 10 bolt still turns the wheels. he pulls balers, manure spreaders, header trailers with 30ft grain platforms, etc. shifts the same as the day he bought it. he does go through and change all the fluids whenever he buys a truck, so maybe good fluid goes a long ways.

I pull shit like this with my truck even in the shittyest of weather, guess you can call me crazy
IMG_0480.jpg, i think ive towed heavier then this but this load just looks big lol

It was from pulling like that Jorge, that we finally decided to put a dually rear-end in our 3500. With Timbrins in it, we eliminated the squat, and feel better in the rear with 4 load range "E's".....:thumbsup:

Back