• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

stuck GP

iamdave0887

Here Comes Chaos.....
Reaction score
hey guys. i have to thank you for all your help in the other thread. :cheers2:

now, as the title says, i've got a stuck GP in the blazer. It's burnt out and swollen, so i'm guessing 9G plug. What's the best way to get it out? i tried the crank it over approach, but no luck.

There's no way i'm taking the head off so that's out, i just can't afford headgaskets and headbolts right now.

any other little tips or tricks? i tried pulling the GP by hand, but it's stuck in there something awful.

Thanks,

- Dave

I took a pair of visegrips and rotated the glow plug back and forth while pulling on it. It just ever so slightly shaved off the swollen part. Took about 1/2 hr on just one so be patient.

If it breaks off you can get the broken piece out by removing the injector. You may want to remove the injector and stuff something in the prechamber to prevent any pieces from dropping into the cyl. I've used a long nose forceps to retrieve the broken pieces.

got one of the 2 stuck ones out.

11G's aren't supposed to swell right? i've got an 11 G here that's swollen to all hell in the center of the GP and has an Ohm reading of ~10.2 ohms.

The other one i'm guessing is a 9G that's stuck in the 2nd cylinder on the passenger side.

This truck hasn't had the best of care. i've got 3 9Gs 3 11Gs and one Champion Glowplug so far. It'll get the old ones out of my truck that were all good. my old 6.5 glows don't say 60G on them, but they do have ACDelco written on them. The part number according to a diesel instructor is a bosch part number. Strange?

Elbow grease, good old elbow grease and patience is the only way to get a stuck GP out. You also need some good old afro engineering. What works for some may not work for others.

First thing.
Pull the injector from that hole.
Take a piece of flanel cloth or ?? that will stuff neatly into the precup below the Glow Plug.

Break the GP off if it has to be and use a punch and a hammer to drive the piece back in.
Magnet or suitable retractor to remove the stuff from the precup.
Use good light to examine the things to be sure there are no more pieces left.

Job done.

MGW

got the stuck GP out. I'm very lucky. the plug came out in one piece but had a huge tear/crack in the center from pulling at the plug w/ visegrips on the hex head. I"ll post photos of the trashed GPs in a bit. the really stuck one was a 9G, the one that was stuck but pu lled out fairly easy was a swollen 11G.

i've moved onto pulling the injectors from one side and they are full of soot. i think i found my problem. I did a comp check and all the cylinders were right on with eachother. strange thing is the numbers were all around 375-380. that seems very low, yet the motor fires right up and runs fine save for all the unburnt diesel coming out of the pipes.

those comp #### are about right.

I cold motor will yield slightly less thatn a hot one.

RPM of the starter may be a tad slower than spec ???

anything above 350 and even is fine at cranking speed.

I have seen these things from 350 to 420. Big deal is that the cyls are even.

MGW

Does that engine have a egr? They soot everything up. A "j" intake is much better. Wide open. Nothing blocking airflow.

Does that engine have a egr? They soot everything up. A "j" intake is much better. Wide open. Nothing blocking airflow.

Yes it s a "C" code motor. EGR's vac line has been disconncted for some time. i couldn't even tell you where it is as it was disconnected when i bought the truck.

the two stuck glows are out. the one 11G that was swollen came out in one piece w/ a pair of vicegrips and a pull. the 9G that was severely swollen almost came out in 2 pieces. the element cracked right in the middle from working the GP back and forth w/ vicegrips on the hex head. i'm amazed it came out in one piece, but that was my one shot of good luck for the day.

How can you tell what glow plugs you have. I don't see 9g, 11g, or 60g on them. They are ac delco and the only numbers I see are 100 271 107.

I thought 11g were not supposed to swell. I guess that is not the case from your experience.

How can you tell what glow plugs you have. I don't see 9g, 11g, or 60g on them. They are ac delco and the only numbers I see are 100 271 107.

I thought 11g were not supposed to swell. I guess that is not the case from your experience.

i think my glows plugs have the same number on them. they may be 60Gs. the 9Gs and 11Gs had 9G and 11G stamped right into the body.

I thought 11Gs were not supposed to swell either. I was very surprised when i got that glowplug out at it had 11G stamped on it.

Back